corsets

  • Paula Daabach
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 26, 2008
      The corsets in the 18th century molded the waistline so it got
      smaller. It was also higher in the back to give the bearer a good
      posture. The corset was short so there was no support for the hips,
      which gives the corset a V-shape. The corsets could probably not be
      longer because of the panniers they were using at the time.
      The corsets from the 1880's on the other hand are longer and include
      the hips. They are, however, a little bit shorter in the back but
      still give the wearers a thin waistline but this corset looks like an
      X.
      Today, on the other hand, it seems like the corsets don't have a
      function at all but are mostly used as a sexual fetishism. Corsets
      nowadays are generally used as garments that makes women sexy and
      sensual and they are often not used in public, but at home in
      private. There are, however, some corsets that functions as tops to
      dresses, which are often very beautiful. The modern corset molds the
      body too, but not as extremely as it did back in the day.
      I have built and worn a corset for a costume party, and I can't
      understand how women could wear them on a daily basis. I managed to
      wear mine for a couple of hours before my ribcage hurt so badly that
      I had to take it off. I think however that corsets are beautiful and
      I would like to be able to wear them. Right now I'm building another
      corset which is very much like the 1880's corset, but it is more for
      the difficulty in building it than to actually wear it.
    • smendozadaly
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 26, 2008
        Thanks for sharing this. I'm intrigued by corsets, for some of the
        same reasons you mention here.

        They are beautiful and probably one of the most feminine symbols in
        fashion. But I do believe that corsets need to be custom made in
        order to avoid such discomfort. I know burlesque dancer and model
        Dita Von Teese has mentioned her custom corsets. It makes perfect
        sense. If I tried to wear a corset of the rack, it would be a
        disaster. I'm petite with a short torso. I can't even find long line
        bras that fit.

        I would love to see your corset when you are finished with it!

        Sandra
        --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "Paula Daabach"

      • misswisc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 26, 2008
          Paula,

          I'd never worn a corset before taking this class. Several women who
          took it with me said that as a large busted woman, if I found a corset
          that fit well, I'd love it. They were right! I tried on about a dozen
          before I found one that felt good. How tight it's laced and where I'm
          "placed" makes a huge difference in how comfortable I am and how well
          it fits. It's nice to be able to wear something "dressy" and strapless
          too. Some corsets have cups; others are more straight. That makes a
          difference too. I liken it to finding a great fitting pair of jeans -
          the size number is just a starting place, there's a lot more to think
          about.

          Kristi
        • Allegra Carlton
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 27, 2008
            There's an interesting article about corsets, their history and their effect
            upon women's health at http://ladyestellet.bravejournal.com/, which mentions
            in passing the story that women used to have their floating ribs removed to
            make their waists smaller (it says this is possibly a myth). The
            author talks about the unlikeliness of people having ever had 16" or 18"
            waists but one of my friends who was tall and slender had an 18" waist when
            young in the late 1960s and early 70s (she doesn't now!).

            --
            Allegra

          • Bobbie Kalben
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 27, 2008
              I have studied historic garments, including corsets, for many years. There
              is no evidence that women ever had ribs removed to make their waists
              smaller. Here is a link explaining this
              http://www.snopes.com/horrors/vanities/ribs.asp

              There have been several books written about corsets, such as:

              The Corset: A Cultural History by Valerie Steele

              Corsets and Crinolines by Norah Waugh

              Corsets: A Visual History complied by R. L. Shep

              Dress and Undress: A History of Women's Underwear by Elizabeth Ewing

              The History of Underclothes by C. Willett and Phillis Cunnington

              Remarkable Restraints: A History of Corsets from the 18th Century to the
              Present Day published by Gallery of English Costume, Platt Hall

              Support and Seduction: A History of Corsets and Bras by Béatrice Fontanel

              Waisted Efforts: An Illustrated Guide to Corset Making by Robert Doyle

              Also, if you are interested in learning how to make a corset, there are:

              The Basics of Corset Building: A Handbook for Beginners by Linda Sparks

              How to Make and Fit a Victorian Corset, a DVD by JoAnn Peterson of Laughing
              Moon

              These are only the resources I have seen, I’m sure there are many more.

              Although I am not an expert, I don’t think the purpose of the corset in the
              18th century was to make the waist smaller, but to support the breasts and
              to change the silhouette of the torso. The books listed above probably go
              into this question in detail.

              In my experience, a well fitted and well made corset that is not tight laced
              is very comfortable. I have made and wear corsets of the styles of the 18th
              century, Regency, Victorian and 1908. They are all different from each
              other but are all comfortable.

              Bobbie Kalben

              bkalben@...

              <p_daabach@...>wrote:

              > The corsets in the 18th century molded the waistline so it got

              > smaller. It was also higher in the back to give the bearer a good

              > posture. The corset was short so there was no support for the hips,

              > which gives the corset a V-shape. The corsets could probably not be

              > longer because of the panniers they were using at the time.

              > The corsets from the 1880's on the other hand are longer and include

              > the hips. They are, however, a little bit shorter in the back but

              > still give the wearers a thin waistline but this corset looks like an

              > X.

              > Today, on the other hand, it seems like the corsets don't have a

              > function at all but are mostly used as a sexual fetishism. Corsets

              > nowadays are generally used as garments that makes women sexy and

              > sensual and they are often not used in public, but at home in

              > private. There are, however, some corsets that functions as tops to

              > dresses, which are often very beautiful. The modern corset molds the

              > body too, but not as extremely as it did back in the day.

              > I have built and worn a corset for a costume party, and I can't

              > understand how women could wear them on a daily basis. I managed to

              > wear mine for a couple of hours before my ribcage hurt so badly that

              > I had to take it off. I think however that corsets are beautiful and

              > I would like to be able to wear them. Right now I'm building another

              > corset which is very much like the 1880's corset, but it is more for

              > the difficulty in building it than to actually wear it.

              --

              Allegra

              Individual Email | Traditional

              (Yahoo! ID required)

              mailto:CostumeHistoryClass-digest@yahoogroups.com

              mailto:CostumeHistoryClass-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 29, 2008
                Another one like that that shows up in lots of costume books are variations on the urban myth of spiders or mice or whatever nesting inside big hair.

                ---Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer Diablo Valley College
                Personal Website- The Costumer's Manifesto at http://costumes.org
                Buy my DVD-Rom Teaching series on Theatrical Makeup at http://www.theatricaldesign.com/makeup/

                I have studied historic garments, including corsets, for many years. There
                is no evidence that women ever had ribs removed to make their waists
                smaller. Here is a link explaining this
                http://www.snopes.com/horrors/vanities/ribs.asp

                There have been several books written about corsets, such as:

                The Corset: A Cultural History by Valerie Steele

                Corsets and Crinolines by Norah Waugh

                Corsets: A Visual History complied by R. L. Shep

                Dress and Undress: A History of Women's Underwear by Elizabeth Ewing

                The History of Underclothes by C. Willett and Phillis Cunnington

                Remarkable Restraints: A History of Corsets from the 18th Century to the
                Present Day published by Gallery of English Costume, Platt Hall

                Support and Seduction: A History of Corsets and Bras by B�atrice Fontanel

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 5, 2008
                  Hi everyone,
                  I see many people have been discussing about corsets. That's fun !! I
                  have finished my corset and put some pictures at:
                  http://se.msnusers.com/PaulaDaabach/mycorset.msnw?Page=1 if anyone is
                  interested. We had a lot of fun taking those pictures !! :o)
                  Enjoy !
                  Paula.
                • Steve & Rita Harris
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 5, 2008
                    Greetings from Seattle, Washington in the United States!

                    Lovely job. Boning looks great and the busk worked out well too.

                    I'm curious however. I didn't see any "back" photos of the binding
                    area where you pulled the laces thru. Where do they end? Top?
                    Bottom? Middle?

                    The custom corset I had made for me laces from the top AND the bottom
                    to meet with long looped tails left and right in the middle area. This
                    means that when the strings have been pulled tight, I have two long
                    loops to pull to the front of my waist to tie a bow to hold fast.

                    I was wondering how you handled that.

                    Merry Christmas everyone!!! Auntie Rita

                    <p_daabach@...> wrote:

                    > Hi everyone,
                    > I see many people have been discussing about corsets. That's fun !! I
                    > have finished my corset and put some pictures at:
                    > http://se.msnusers.com/PaulaDaabach/mycorset.msnw?Page=1 if anyone is
                    > interested. We had a lot of fun taking those pictures !! :o)
                    > Enjoy !
                    > Paula.

                  • Paula Daabach
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 6, 2008
                      Hi Rita,
                      I realised after we took the pictures that I never got a really good
                      shot at the back of the corset. :o( But I laced it from the bottom and
                      up. However, I couldn't find a lace that were long enough so it is two
                      shoelaces tied together so it looked like it was tied both at the top
                      and the bottom. However, I hid most of the knot and the rest of the
                      lace inside the corset behind an extra flap. (I put a flap on one side
                      of the corset that covers the "opening" under the lacing.)
                      I will see if I have time to take some pictures of the inside and the
                      back of the corset and put those up too.
                      I think it sounds interesting with the lacing of your corset, that ties
                      like a bow in the front. Cool.
                      Merry Christmas to you too !
                      Paula.
                    • Paula Daabach
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 6, 2008
                        Now there are some pictures up on the same place
                        (http://se.msnusers.com/PaulaDaabach/mycorset.msnw?Page=1) with the
                        lacing and the inside of the corset for those who are interested.
                        -Paula.