Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] week 3

  • misswisc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 14, 2008
      Nicely done, Fay!
    • stephanie marion
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 14, 2008
        Hello Fay,

        I would like to become a part of the group. I have been ing receiving information regarding the class. How do I get involved?

        Stephanie Marion

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 17, 2008
          You go to the class web page at http://www.costumes.org/classes/fashiondress/thr355main.htm read the assignments, do what is assigned, and interact with your fellow online learners through the group postings.

          ---Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer Diablo Valley College
          Personal Website- The Costumer's Manifesto at http://costumes.org
          Buy my DVD-Rom Teaching series on Theatrical Makeup at http://www.theatricaldesign.com/makeup/

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 17, 2008
            It certainly seems to be a hot topic with a bunch of folks.  Interestingly, I think it may be slowly getting a small group of conservative Christian, Muslim and Jewish women of various sects to feel they have something in common.  I am of course referring to the internet using groups of mostly young women who share modest clothing tips and shopping links.  I had a fun time recently doing a bit of research for a one act play "Veils" where two Muslima college girls at AUC debate the issue, but also have to look like hip college girls of the moment, one in hijab, and the other unveiled but still dressed modestly.  While hunting for the most current info I found even more modest links than before, and increasingly, the links lists I find are cross listing shops of different religious groups all into one.

            Apart from this trend, though my favorite site though is a blog by BeautifulMusilma where she shows how to pick up style ideas from shows like Desperate Housewives or fashion mags, and adapt the ideas for modest styles.  In a right-thinking inclusive world this woman would have a monthly 2 page style page in Vogue, if nothing else, to show how you can take fashion magazine fantasies and adapt them to the reality of whatever wardrobe style you feel comfortable in.  I say this as a 49 year old who just went to her 31s class reunion in violet stretch pleather pants and a purple and black lace corset-modesty is not my thing, but cool style, is cool style, is cool style...

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 17, 2008
              Neat ideas, I honestly never put the kameez=chemise thing together, probably because i'd confused the names salwar and kameez with top and bottom, that is I figured the salwar was the top.  ooops, terrible mistake for somebody who owns bunches of them.  Oh, a cool wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salwar_kameez

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 15, 2008
                Good Job Fay! Very interesting information. I found it hard to gather
                information about this topic, but it was very interesting reading what
                you had found out! Thanks!
                Paula.
              • smendozadaly
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 17, 2008
                  This is an interesting topic and a timely one. I was just approached
                  by a fellow blogger about possibly guest blogging for me. She owns an
                  online ecommerce site where she sells fashionable modest clothing. I
                  think she found me through an article I wrote for Eliza magazine, a
                  magazine dedicated to high style, modest fashion.

                  I think Tara is right - the great medium for finding style
                  inspiration, globally is the internet. Women around the world are
                  taking cues from each other. It's wonderful! The internet is what
                  makes it all relevant.

                  --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "Paula Daabach"