"I am interested in the History of Fashion because....."

  • brinapursley
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 28, 2008
      There are several reasons why I am interested in the History of
      Fashion. My interest started with my yearly trips to renaissance
      festivals. I enjoy making a different costume each time I attend but I
      started feeling limited. Not being a history buff I was surprised to
      find myself reading up on the clothing worn in different time periods,
      by different classes, and in different regions. More recently I've
      considered pursuing a career in costume design. It may be several
      years before I get a paying position in this field but I figure the
      sooner I start learning and the more I know the better off I'll be.
    • n_pilides
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 12, 2008
        As a child I was always fascinated by old objects, especially clothes,
        which I collected rather indiscriminately to my mother's great
        exasperation. I tried to imagine what their previous owners might have
        been like and what these objects or clothes might have meant to them.
        Although I have since refined the contents of my collection to include
        only certain types of vintage clothing/accessories for which I have
        developed a slight obsession, I have come to realise that research and
        knowledge (of a less erratic and haphazard nature) is the only thing
        that could help me refine my interest and develop it into something
        more meaningful. I hope to one day be in a position to exhibit my
        collection publicly in a little museum of my own.
      • badkittie748
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
          I am interested in the History of Fashion because.....i am curious to
          know antique modes of dress throught the centuries as well as antique
          methods of construction, and have developed a love for certain time
          periods depicted in film.
        • maraljeyrani
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2009
            --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "badkittie748"
            <badkittie748@...> wrote:

            > I am interested in the History of Fashion because.....i am curious to
            > know antique modes of dress throught the centuries as well as antique
            > methods of construction, and have developed a love for certain time
            > periods depicted in film.

            i`m interested in fashion history because i `m acostume designer and i
            don`t know enough. i` living in iran and there is no source about
            fashion history
          • ColleyOlley
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2010
              ...it has always been an interest and passion of mine for as long as I can remember (I was Cleopatra, by choice, at the age of 6). I graduated from school with a BS in Textile and Apparel Studies but have just recently questioned why I can't create a future in what I love...fashion history. So I am going to do my best to immerse myself in fashion history to an extreme and eventually go back for a MA and PhD in hopes of teaching in the long run.
            • monikagbutterfly@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 15, 2010
                Good for you, ColleyOlley. Go on and create a future in what you love. I think that this is so important for job satisfaction --passion-- and it gives patience and persistence to what we do.

                Monika

                --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "ColleyOlley" <silver_charm21@...> wrote:

                > ...it has always been an interest and passion of mine for as long as I can remember (I was Cleopatra, by choice, at the age of 6). I graduated from school with a BS in Textile and Apparel Studies but have just recently questioned why I can't create a future in what I love...fashion history. So I am going to do my best to immerse myself in fashion history to an extreme and eventually go back for a MA and PhD in hopes of teaching in the long run.

              • duchess.licorne
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2011
                  "I am interested in the History of Fashion because..."
                  At this very moment, that which leads me in this direction is my love for history, the interest in societal structures, lifestyles, characters, personalities, emotions... all these seen always, even if one tries to avoid it, in one's garments. The Art of clothing one's-self, the use of and invention of certain instruments to achieve it are fascinating as they are, but indeed, there is still more to it. Why is it that we recognise all the stereotypes when we watch a movie, be it historical or not? Because along with the actor's talent at conveying the character's posture and attitude, it is in fact the clothes that we notice right away. With that I have also revealed my other reason for learning about the History of Fashion, which is due to my aspiration to be a costume designer (and maker) one day, and as a side-note: I am obsessed with historical accuracy.

                  Thank you and have a lovely day!
                • lawnsong7@yahoo.ca
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 22, 2012
                    I thought I'd take a course that connects to my History courses. I have always loved fashion since I was a little girl. I would take Iris Brooks' out of the library and copy the different fashions into notebooks. I particularly enjoy the Medieval Age. A few months ago, I bought several of Brooks' books so that I could once again enjoy those pages of fashion. As well, I collect antique photos of brides from the Edwardian and the Twenties eras.