Lesson 1.2: Group Identity

  • lindseymacallister
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2008
      As I work at a major tourist attraction, I see a fairly wide range of
      people on a daily basis. This time of year, we are inundated with
      summer camp groups so I will use them as my essay subject. They all
      wear a uniform of sorts—usually a brightly colored tee-shirt with
      their camp logo. If the kids are young, the shirts are usually three
      sized too large. With exception of the tee-shirt, the kids may wear
      whatever they—or their parents—allow.

      Since I do not know how they celebrate social functions, I am not
      sure how they dress. Their tee-shirts are obviously a way to
      identify themselves as a group, and the bright color helps identify
      each child in a crowd. Status is only two-tiered; the campers and
      the counselors. All the campers wear the same color and style of
      shirt, but the counselors' shirts may be one of three choices.
      Sometimes they wear the same shirt, sometimes they wear a similar
      shirt but in a different color, and sometimes they do not adhere to a
      dress code of sorts, and wear what they want.

      Most of the campers are quite young, so the kids aren't dressing to
      impress the opposite sex. They do, however, express their
      individuality through the rest of their outfit. While many kids
      coordinate their shirts with their bottoms and accessories, others
      make unique fashion choices with color and style of pants, shorts,
      skirts, hair accessories, jewelry, and backpacks.

      All in all, whether the tee-shirt fits them perfectly or it looks
      like their drowning in it, the uniform shirt does not hamper the
      kids' ability to let their personality shine through their clothing
      choices.