I am interested in the history of fashion because...

  • aprilabigsnail
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 17, 2008
      I am interested in the history of fashion because I love history, fashion, and beauty and these
      all combine to make one heck of a subject matter. My overall goal is to better understand the
      clothing in order to better understand the cultural context of the time.
    • mllestar2
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 17, 2008
        I have been asked to use my experience and talent as a costumer and
        make-up artist to teach children and adults how to work on a costume or
        makeup crew for theatrical productions. The new, non-profit performance
        academy I have helped start in Corona, CA wants to do something new...
        offer complete education in the arts, including the technical aspects.
        While I did a lot of costuming and makeup work in high school and
        college (including a costuming internship at the Globe Theatre in San
        Diego), it has been over 12 years since I have used those skills and I
        find my theory and history a bit rusty. If I am going to wear the
        exalted mantle of "teacher" then I want to make sure I remember what I
        am talking about. I would like to eventually go back to university and
        finish a formal degree in Costuming and Make-up (or "Character Imagery"
        as we call it at Curtain Call) but right now money and time are tight.
        I feel this will be a great way for me to retouch on what I knew and
        find out what I don't.
      • brandyinthesky
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 11, 2008
          I love clothes! I love vintage clothes especially. And since I am a
          classic film buff, as well as a period film buff, I am intrigued by the
          costuming. Anxious to finally study and learn more about it!
        • andrina.rout
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 6 10:41 AM
            I have always loved the look of clothes from different eras and have dabbled in costume making for amateur theatre, friends and family. I love the different fabrics and styles, but I also find the way fashion reflects the society of the time to be fascinating. I love history, especially the history of everyday things, like fashion, furniture, customs and so on, as these things are a window into the lives of everyone from the past, not just those history remembers with a name.
          • pankhuri_88
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 31, 2010
              I am curious about how people have used fashion to express themselves in the past. I also feel that fashion has a transformational power to change lives.
            • chelsey0726
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 12, 2010
                I am interested in the history of fashion because as an aspiring costume designer I am interested in better understanding not only what the trends of specific times were, but also how the various events of the time affected these trends.
              • cheriebellingham@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 5, 2011
                  Hello, I am interested on teh history of fashion because i want to go into video game design as a concept artist thus i'll have to know the correct style of clothing for the correct era.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 5, 2011
                    Good reason!

                    Tara Maginnis, Costume Designer at Diablo Valley College. See my website http://costumes.org and my DVD series. Http://theatricalmakeupdesign.com

                    On Jan 5, 2011, at 11:11 AM, "cheriebellingham@..." <cheriebellingham@...> wrote:

                    > Hello, I am interested on teh history of fashion because i want to go into video game design as a concept artist thus i'll have to know the correct style of clothing for the correct era.

                  • shoping4shooz
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 25, 2011
                      I am interested in the history of fashion because when I am older, I want to do something in the field of fashion, whether it's design or textile making, and my school doesn't have any courses that has anything to do with fashion. So I figure, if I want to do well in the future then I have to be responsible and educate myself.

                    • ella_fowler@ymail.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 24, 2012
                        I am interested in the history of fashion because I am very interested in learning about the spirit of the times and the reasons why people wore the various clothing styles throughout the ages. I went to school for dressmaking and fashion design, and am working on starting a clothing business, and have come to realize that my niche and interest is in costume design. I have always loved history, and the psychology behind clothing, so I hope to learn a lot from this class.
                      • pike.emma
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 25, 2013
                          I think it was 1996 in London. I had recently graduated with a degree in history and was reluctantly taking my first steps towards a career in law. The Imperial War Museum was showing an exhibition entitled "Wartime Dress" and I went to see it. One exhibit I still remember today. It was a clipping from a 1940s magazine giving top tips about which shades of lipstick look best with the utilitarian khaki uniforms many women were wearing to work in support of the war effort. That one small piece unlocked a very personal and human history that I had rarely glimpsed in my academic studies and I felt triumphant to know that the power of femininity, the desire to look and feel feminine was undiminished by the adversity of war. I am not a costume designer (I am no longer a lawyer either) - I am just someone who has always loved history - and fashion - and I want to learn more.
                        • vanessabrunel
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 3, 2013
                            Hi Emma, I found the anecdote you told in your post very interesting. It is amazing how these women went through this war period keeping their feminity even in the worst moments of their life. But I think it was a small piece of hope that this war could stop one day and that they would recover their previous life. Best regards vanessa