Re: History of Fashion

  • Hope
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 22, 2008
      --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, misswisc@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 1/21/2008 8:31:49 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      > hope4hair@... writes:
      >

      > I am interested in the history of fashion because nothing is new
      under
      > the sun. I know that clothing has a purpose in history other than
      just
      > being stylish, as it is today. Clothing in the past revealed
      certain
      > things about the people who wore them. Whether it be social class,
      > the job or position that they held. Also, the construction of the
      > clothing is alot more detailed than that of today from fabric
      selction
      > to the hem and pleating of the garmet. All of this will be of
      great
      > knowledge and help as a future costume designer.
      >

      > Hope - (we don't know your name... is it Hope?)
      >
      > Welcome to the "class!"
      >
      > Do you think clothing still reveals things about a person? What
      kind of
      > costume designing are you planning to do - theatre, film, private?
      >
      > Kristi
      >

      > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in
      shape.
      > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?
      NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

      Sorry about that. My name is Hope. I currently make costumes for
      exotic dancers in Atlanta. But as you can guess my options are
      limited. I am looking to do dance teams and stage costuming.
      Therefore I am looking to do some volunteer work for experience. I do
      think that clothing reveals things about a person. I used to be a
      person who was a straight up hoochie mama. However, I am very aware
      of what I wear now because I have 4 daughters who are watching my
      every move and so I have toned down seriously. I don't think that it
      is too the extreme as the past but in certain ways I do. Beyonce
      nowadays would never be caught in walmart or in target because we
      expect her to shop at Gucci, Armani etc. You cannot tell me she can't
      get jeans that fit her in target instead of buying a pair of citizens
      of humanity. Nowadays it is more of a social status symbol.
    • zujajajalees
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 10, 2008
        I am interested in the history of fashion because it gives me
        inspiration for my current projects. Moreover our present fashion has
        been eveloved from the past there is nothing basically new about our
        current fashion. The cricle of fashion moves from one era to other so
        it is of great importance for me to know as much as possible about
        history of fashion.
      • eleanordew
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 11, 2008
          Wow -- Making costumes for exotic dancers is interesting! Do you make
          the headdresses too? (I saw the show at Bally's and was much more
          interested in how the dancers managed to walk while balancing those
          huge headdresses than in the fact that they were bare-breasted!

          Have you look at Tara McGinniss's Ph.D. dissertation? It's
          titled "Fashion shows, strip shows and beauty pageants: The theatre
          of the feminine ideal" (U.GA., 1991). It's fascinating reading.

          -- Jean

          --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "Hope" <hope4hair@...>

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 11, 2008
            When I took this course, I drew the analogy that clothing is like cars -
            - there's only a finite number of ways to fit a flat piece of cloth to
            a three-dimensional body, just as with cars, even though you add fins
            or lights, you always have the wheels. For the entire message, see this
            link:

            --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "zujajajalees"
            <zujaja.jalees@...> wrote:

            > I am interested in the history of fashion because it gives me
            > inspiration for my current projects. Moreover our present fashion has
            > been eveloved from the past there is nothing basically new about our
            > current fashion. The cricle of fashion moves from one era to other so
            > it is of great importance for me to know as much as possible about
            > history of fashion.

          • d.hudson84
            Message 5 of 8 , May 11, 2008
              I am interested in the History of Fashion because I am the Costume
              Designer for the local High School musicals and I like to get the
              costumes as authentic to the setting of the show as possible.
            • kimhauschild
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 10, 2011
                I am interested in the History of Fashion because I find it facinating. I am a self-taught costumer for a community theatre and would love to learn more!I am hoping this class fills in the holes in my "education".