Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] History of Fashion

  • misswisc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 21, 2008
      In a message dated 1/21/2008 8:31:49 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      hope4hair@... writes:

      I am interested in the history of fashion because nothing is new under
      the sun. I know that clothing has a purpose in history other than just
      being stylish, as it is today. Clothing in the past revealed certain
      things about the people who wore them. Whether it be social class,
      the job or position that they held. Also, the construction of the
      clothing is alot more detailed than that of today from fabric selction
      to the hem and pleating of the garmet. All of this will be of great
      knowledge and help as a future costume designer.

      Hope - (we don't know your name... is it Hope?)

      Welcome to the "class!"

      Do you think clothing still reveals things about a person? What kind of
      costume designing are you planning to do - theatre, film, private?

      Kristi

    • Hope
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 22, 2008
        --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, misswisc@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 1/21/2008 8:31:49 A.M. Central Standard Time,
        > hope4hair@... writes:
        >

        > I am interested in the history of fashion because nothing is new
        under
        > the sun. I know that clothing has a purpose in history other than
        just
        > being stylish, as it is today. Clothing in the past revealed
        certain
        > things about the people who wore them. Whether it be social class,
        > the job or position that they held. Also, the construction of the
        > clothing is alot more detailed than that of today from fabric
        selction
        > to the hem and pleating of the garmet. All of this will be of
        great
        > knowledge and help as a future costume designer.
        >

        > Hope - (we don't know your name... is it Hope?)
        >
        > Welcome to the "class!"
        >
        > Do you think clothing still reveals things about a person? What
        kind of
        > costume designing are you planning to do - theatre, film, private?
        >
        > Kristi
        >

        > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in
        shape.
        > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?
        NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

        Sorry about that. My name is Hope. I currently make costumes for
        exotic dancers in Atlanta. But as you can guess my options are
        limited. I am looking to do dance teams and stage costuming.
        Therefore I am looking to do some volunteer work for experience. I do
        think that clothing reveals things about a person. I used to be a
        person who was a straight up hoochie mama. However, I am very aware
        of what I wear now because I have 4 daughters who are watching my
        every move and so I have toned down seriously. I don't think that it
        is too the extreme as the past but in certain ways I do. Beyonce
        nowadays would never be caught in walmart or in target because we
        expect her to shop at Gucci, Armani etc. You cannot tell me she can't
        get jeans that fit her in target instead of buying a pair of citizens
        of humanity. Nowadays it is more of a social status symbol.
      • zujajajalees
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 10, 2008
          I am interested in the history of fashion because it gives me
          inspiration for my current projects. Moreover our present fashion has
          been eveloved from the past there is nothing basically new about our
          current fashion. The cricle of fashion moves from one era to other so
          it is of great importance for me to know as much as possible about
          history of fashion.
        • eleanordew
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 11, 2008
            Wow -- Making costumes for exotic dancers is interesting! Do you make
            the headdresses too? (I saw the show at Bally's and was much more
            interested in how the dancers managed to walk while balancing those
            huge headdresses than in the fact that they were bare-breasted!

            Have you look at Tara McGinniss's Ph.D. dissertation? It's
            titled "Fashion shows, strip shows and beauty pageants: The theatre
            of the feminine ideal" (U.GA., 1991). It's fascinating reading.

            -- Jean

            --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "Hope" <hope4hair@...>

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 11, 2008
              When I took this course, I drew the analogy that clothing is like cars -
              - there's only a finite number of ways to fit a flat piece of cloth to
              a three-dimensional body, just as with cars, even though you add fins
              or lights, you always have the wheels. For the entire message, see this
              link:

              --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "zujajajalees"
              <zujaja.jalees@...> wrote:

              > I am interested in the history of fashion because it gives me
              > inspiration for my current projects. Moreover our present fashion has
              > been eveloved from the past there is nothing basically new about our
              > current fashion. The cricle of fashion moves from one era to other so
              > it is of great importance for me to know as much as possible about
              > history of fashion.

            • d.hudson84
              Message 6 of 8 , May 11, 2008
                I am interested in the History of Fashion because I am the Costume
                Designer for the local High School musicals and I like to get the
                costumes as authentic to the setting of the show as possible.
              • kimhauschild
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 10, 2011
                  I am interested in the History of Fashion because I find it facinating. I am a self-taught costumer for a community theatre and would love to learn more!I am hoping this class fills in the holes in my "education".