Lesson 1 Step 5

  • jillhazell
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 11, 2008
      The clothing worn by an 18 year old male acquaintance of mine

      I used to think this young man was not interested in fashion, but he
      certainly has a very firm idea of what he likes and over the last few
      years has developed his own individual and unusual style. He is
      quite short, slim but very well built and has long, shiny
      hair that he always wears neatly in a bun halfway down the back of
      his head.
      He is on a very low wage and buys all his clothes in second-hand
      charity shops. But even when he was at school and his parents were
      paying for his clothes, he always bought his clothes this way. He
      almost never wears jeans like his friends, but usually trousers that
      might once have been part of a suit. But the curious thing is, he
      rolls them up to his knees and tuck his socks into a pair of old
      trainers. I have never seen him in shorts, but he always has bare
      legs (summer and winter) from his knees to his ankles. Last summer,
      he was an usher at a friend's wedding and he had to wear a suit and
      during the ceremony he managed to look much like everyone else, apart
      from the fact that his top shirt button was undone and the knot of
      his tie was 2 inches lower than it should conventionally have been,
      but as soon as the formalities were over, he again rolled the
      trousers up to his knees. He almost always wears dark colours,
      blacks and browns mainly, and when he goes out in the evenings, he
      often wears a black shirt over a t-shirt and sometimes an old suit
      jacket that doesn't actually match the rolled-up trousers he is
      wearing. He sometimes brightens his outfits up with a coloured
      scarf, though he never wears jewellery or even a watch. When he was
      16, his school had a ball and all the girls wore beautiful long
      dresses and the boys wore tuxedos, but my friend wore a brown,
      artificial leather jacket over a t-shirt and dark, rolled-up trousers
      and won a prize as the Best Dressed Male of his year (voted
      unanimously by the other students). He has many friends, both male
      and female, and though not a leader of fashion, ie no one actually
      copies his style, he does seem to be admired for his individual taste.
    • misswisc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 13, 2008
        Jill - have you ever asked him why he likes his legs uncovered?

      • eleanordew
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2008
          That's what I was going to ask - why does he want his legs uncovered? -
          Jean (eleanordew)

          --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, misswisc@... wrote:

          > Jill - have you ever asked him why he likes his legs uncovered?
          >

          > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in
          shape.

        • Jill Hazell
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 14, 2008
            To be honest, I don't know him well enough to ask! I think it might have begun when he began to cycle everywhere and his trousers got caught in the chain, though I think it has now become a fashion statement because he does it all the time.

            http://body. aol.com/fitness/ winter-exercise? NCID=aolcmp00300 000002489

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 14, 2008
              In a message dated 1/14/2008 1:38:58 P.M. Central Standard Time,
              jillhazell@... writes:

              To be honest, I don't know him well enough to ask! I think it might have
              begun when he began to cycle everywhere and his trousers got caught in the
              chain, though I think it has now become a fashion statement because he does it all
              the time.

              Need begatting fashion happens often. You'll find other examples as you go
              through the course.

              Kristi

            • eleanordew
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 16, 2008
                Since we have a limited number of people who are working on this
                class at the moment, I thought it would be helpful if you could read
                some of the previous classes answers to this question (since you are
                asked to comment about other students' essays). One that I
                particularly enjoyed reading was in 2001, at the following link:

                It's about Australian aborigines and the women's culture within the
                tribe. -- Jean