Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] Assignment 1

  • misswisc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 26, 2007
      Welcome, Jill.

      I'm Kristi, an IATSE stagehand and independent makeup artist. I took this
      class a couple of years ago to increase my knowledge of costumes. There's a lot
      out there to learn about. :)

      Kristi

    • beatrice.harb
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 8 4:06 AM
        I live in Beirut, Lebanon, where the costume is very important in our society, it is a society very much based on the external look, Lebanese people do give a lot of attention and time to look good, to look richer, to look sexy, to look leftist, to look like something they aim for.
        I personally believe it is to cover up the frustration, and war memory not dealt with psychologically.
        It is very important to always be presentable for the social statue, to be distinguished, "what if I was seen this way, what would people say?!"
        For some conservative religious people in Lebanon the costume is different and marks them from the others. It does also make one feel and show that he belongs to one of the confessions.
        But in general Lebanese people love to dress, follow the trends have the latest fashion. It's a way of showing that they are updated, and most important in!
      • Janet Balk
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 8 2:26 PM
          What an amazing place to live! All of that history.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Feb 8, 2013, at 6:06 AM, "beatrice.harb" <beatrice.harb@...> wrote:

          > I live in Beirut, Lebanon, where the costume is very important in our society, it is a society very much based on the external look, Lebanese people do give a lot of attention and time to look good, to look richer, to look sexy, to look leftist, to look like something they aim for.
          > I personally believe it is to cover up the frustration, and war memory not dealt with psychologically.
          > It is very important to always be presentable for the social statue, to be distinguished, "what if I was seen this way, what would people say?!"
          > For some conservative religious people in Lebanon the costume is different and marks them from the others. It does also make one feel and show that he belongs to one of the confessions.
          > But in general Lebanese people love to dress, follow the trends have the latest fashion. It's a way of showing that they are updated, and most important in!

        • aduriaud
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 24, 2013

             I found this fascinating for several reasons:

            Your comment that some fashionable Beirutis use dressing up as an aspirational practice in order to blot out memories of the war was thought-provoking. In relation to that I googled Lebanese Fashion and came up with this link (below). In the article several designers discuss how wartime conditions have forced them to become resourceful in the production of their work, which I thought was another aspect of the connection you made between Beirut's history and love of fashion.

            http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/24/fashion/Beirut-Where-Fashion-Lives-Dangerously.html

            Also, I noted in the article that several of the designers mentioned including Elie Saab, make a significant portion of their profit by selling to women in Gulf states. I spent a significant part of my childhood in Bahrain and this reminded me of how many of the wealthier women there venerated haute couture fashion, especially anything bling. It wasn't uncommon to see beautiful, sparkling shoes and hems of designer dresses peeking out from under their abayas. As a child this was magical!

            I checked out Elie Saab's website to watch footage of her latest runway shows and also found this article (link below) to an interview with a Pakistani woman based in Qatar.

            Amazing how discussions on fashion can touch on so many areas including history, autobiography and memory, and migrating cultural influences.