RE: [CostumeHistoryClass] Costume History vs Fashion History - do you perceive a difference?

  • Theodora Zourkas
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hi Laurie

      I hope you are still looking for input on your question -

      I am currently reading this great book called the "Essence of Style -
      how the French invented high fashion, fine food, chic cafes, style,
      sophistication and glamour" by Joan DeJean. Its premise is that our
      fashion industry (i.e. clothes, shoes, accessories, food, furniture etc)
      basically started in 17th century France under Louis XIV - it was a
      "marriage between style and economics" (i.e. Louis XIV's love of fashion
      and his Chief Finance Minister Jean-Baptiste Colbert's good economic
      judgment i.e. if France set the trends and exported more than it
      imported it would be very profitable).

      If you follow this line of argument then I think:

      Fashion history is the study of the deliberate changing styles in
      clothing that people wore due to economic reasons such as; development
      and marketing of trends, export of materials and designs, rise of the
      couture and fashion design occupations etc

      Costume history is the study of the changing styles in clothing that
      people wore that evolved over time due to factors such as; availability
      of materials, sewing techniques, changing roles within the family and
      contact with other cultures etc.

      I don't know if this is right - but I'm going to do some research and
      let you know what else I find.

      Good luck

      Theodora