Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] Costume History vs Fashion History - do you perceive a difference?

  • Claudia Hill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2006
      Dear Laurie,

      My concept of the difference between the two terms is that costume history would be the study of actual physical clothing worn in different times and in different places. Fashion history, on the other hand would be the study of the ideas, attitudes, and changes in societies that drive changes in costume, among other things. It would be a wider subject, besides clothing, taking in things like evolution of (for example) vehicles, hair dressing styles, and anything else of which people might say, "Oh, that's old-fashioned" or "This is the newest fashion."

      I could be wrong.

      Claudia Hill

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
        Hi Laurie

        I hope you are still looking for input on your question -

        I am currently reading this great book called the "Essence of Style -
        how the French invented high fashion, fine food, chic cafes, style,
        sophistication and glamour" by Joan DeJean. Its premise is that our
        fashion industry (i.e. clothes, shoes, accessories, food, furniture etc)
        basically started in 17th century France under Louis XIV - it was a
        "marriage between style and economics" (i.e. Louis XIV's love of fashion
        and his Chief Finance Minister Jean-Baptiste Colbert's good economic
        judgment i.e. if France set the trends and exported more than it
        imported it would be very profitable).

        If you follow this line of argument then I think:

        Fashion history is the study of the deliberate changing styles in
        clothing that people wore due to economic reasons such as; development
        and marketing of trends, export of materials and designs, rise of the
        couture and fashion design occupations etc

        Costume history is the study of the changing styles in clothing that
        people wore that evolved over time due to factors such as; availability
        of materials, sewing techniques, changing roles within the family and
        contact with other cultures etc.

        I don't know if this is right - but I'm going to do some research and
        let you know what else I find.

        Good luck

        Theodora