Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] Contemporary Text- 17th Century

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2006
      There is some thought that the same author wrote the contrary pamphlet Hic Vir, which would seem to indicate that the author in both cases was having fun with the public by stating two extreme opposing viewpoints. It's as if we were to find out that Michael Moore and Ann Coulter,both were fronts for a MOTR guy like John McCain.

      mhmillns <millnmh@...> wrote: I am going to post this on the message boards, and then try later
      today to get it onto my website.
      I choose to read Hic Mulier, The Man-Woman.
      This is an English lit. about woman becoming more masculine,
      ranging from their dress, bold speech, hair, and acting 'monstrous.'
      The writer says that only the pure and holy stay feminine (which he
      gives good praise to), and these other woman are not what God made
      them. He explains (in his opinion) that dress is not modest anymore.
      Woman went from a concealing gown to a "loose" French doublette, and
      shorter hair. He likens this to a spreading plague, saying that the
      man-woman are basically giving up their bodies. Finally, he compares
      the English to the "modest Dutch" and "stately Italians" but says we
      have nothing to compare to them.
      I read up on Hic Mulier and he wrote a couple different books,
      and it is thought that they were published to keep the controversy
      going. I think that in a way, he thinks (or maybe is) he is of a
      higher class, and is putting these woman down because he can. I
      think there are somethings he is being literal about, like the hair
      and outfits, but his reasoning is exagerrated to get a Puritan point
      across. When he likens this to a plague, I immediately thought of
      every other "trend" and in a way, those could be a plague too,
      spreading, like fashion does. But I guess he just sees this
      particular one as being bad, but doesn't realize that this too will
      pass.

      ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer, Professor and Chair