[CostumeHistoryClass] MWBH Elizabeth

  • Sherman, Talley and Raymond
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2006
      I just did a review on Elizabeth. Its is one of my favroite movies. I love the rich costumes. And often thought that the demise of health, if you look at some of the images were attributed to the use of lead and arsenic in her stark white makeup.
      I often wonder what the cause of death is listed as.
      http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=244839&ck=

      Julie

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22, 2006
        Well, she lived through smallpox and lasted till the age of 70, an enormous age at the time, outliving pretty much all her contemporaries. While many idiots did use while lead as face powder (even then they knew it was toxic) there were also safer alternative white powders. To learn more read http://costume.dm.net/makeup.html

        "Sherman, Talley and Raymond" <jimmysdevoted2@...> wrote: I just did a review on Elizabeth. Its is one of my favroite movies. I love the rich costumes. And often thought that the demise of health, if you look at some of the images were attributed to the use of lead and arsenic in her stark white makeup.

        ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer, Professor and Chair