jewish heritage wearble goodness

  • Julia Sherman, DN. PhT, DE
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2006
      The Jewish heritage is slightly complex.
      We wear Tsit Tist because it reminds us of the commandments of the
      Torah and our 613 laws. The knots that tie these strings equal to 613
      positive and negative laws.

      We wear keepah because it is our way of remembering there is
      something above us.

      The idea of mens and womens garments has been muddled over the
      centuries. What constitutes a womans and mans garment.. it's not
      pants. Because mens and women during the time of Exodus everyone
      wore tunics.
      But men wore special garments at times. These were the Teffilin,
      the Tallis and a knife on a belt.
      Women were forbidden to wear these men only garments.
      A woman wore her head covered in a Miriam veil or scarf. It was
      forbidden for anyone but her husband to see her " crowning glory"
      her " Veil of womanhood". So she had to keep it covered. Today
      orthodox women all wear the same style of wig.. well almost. But its
      pretty hard to tell one from another in Spring Valley and Monsey NY.
      What sets the men apart in this day and age is the Kirtel or black
      overcoat and Borselanio. These types of hats can tell an ultra
      orthodox from a conservative.
      Almost all dress alike. I think they have only one tailor who does
      all of the suits.

      What allows then to express individual taste is the color of their
      ties, or a brooch. But very rarely will you see it. Almost all are
      somber in dress. Even the women are somber. And I don't know why.
      I am orthodox, and my branch is a lively colorful fun loving group of
      orthodox. We wear colors and patterns that scream fun. We dance sing
      and kid around. The only we as women doesn't wear are kippot,
      tiffillen, tallis or a knife. Otherwise we wear what ever we want.
      And some of us wear baseball caps and tuck our hair up or wear wild
      bandanas.