Week 1 Assignment

  • mhmillns
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 26, 2006
      Week 1 Assignment:
      Growing up in Florida, I became very involved in water
      sports (boating, surfing, waterskiing, and wakeboarding). I have
      since moved away, but still notice the same trends. I would like to
      discuss this "clique" because looking back, I find it very
      interesting. It is very casual in a way, but also specific. During
      the day, when in bathing suits, the boys will be found in
      long "board shirts" not to be worn above the knee. They are usually
      worn low on the waist also. No matter how much it restricts their
      movement, they will wear the longer shorts, and wouldn't be caught
      looking uncool in a Speedo, or tight swimming trunks. Girls will
      usually be wearing bikinis, but they also share the love of board
      shorts. Theirs will also be longer; I think it is a trend to be more
      like the boys, because they are also participating in the sports.
      Nighttime attire usually consists of jeans and shirts with their
      board, or boats' brand name on it, and tank tops for girls. They
      like to bring the laid back beach attitude out with them. Also, I
      have noticed a preppy trend that one wouldn't think goes with these
      surfers. Polo shirts, plaid shorts, cardigans, and I have noticed
      that this clique likes to dress up in a costume way. They are the
      most likely to throw an "80's party" or a "thrift store party."
      Whether or not they skateboard, on their feet you can find the kind
      of wide fitting shoe that is associated with skateboarding, usually
      loosely tied, other than that, they live in comfortable flip-flops.
      In a way, this style can come across as lazy and quickly
      thrown together, but also there are very specific things that would
      be worn, or never worn. Jewelry can be seen in pooka shell
      necklaces, white bead chokers, sporty underwater wrist watch, and
      you can't forget a nice golden tan. If one arrives at a party still
      in their bathing suit and tank top, you can assume they have been
      waterskiing all day, and didn't even have time to change. Being part
      of this group usually means you have to participate in the sports,
      not just watch from the sidelines.
    • little_vicious83
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 29, 2010
        The North American male office worker has a very strict dress code. He wears blue or black trousers in the winter, and possibly tan khakis in the summer. He wears a brown or black leather belt and brown or black lace up shoes, with black socks. His shirt is a button down oxford, usually in light blue or white, but occasionaly in light pink or pale yellow. It is always tucked in, to untuck it would appear slovenly. He wears a blazer that matches his pants. Depending on the office, he may omit the blazer in summer. His chief means of self-expression is his tie. Although more subdued personalities will generally stick with a tie in a dark, solid color, others will venture into patterns. Sports fans may even wear ties with their favorite team's colors or logos. During the winter months ties often even become a way to express holiday cheer. When work is over and the man has gone home for the day, he usually changes into jeans or sweatpants, and a t-shirt. Depending on his office, he may also wear jeans and a t-shirt to work on "Casual Fridays".
      • chelzfashion_wicked
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 5, 2010
          --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, Chelsea Hays wrote
          I am interested in History of Fashion because i need to learn more about the history of clothing because one day I will become a fashion designer and I want to know more about how different styles came about. Knowing this will help with my design style later and I like to think that I will use historic ideas in my clothing. I want to learn this now while I am a young adult it will help greatly in my clothing with regular history and fashion history classes.