final rough draft

  • abrah81
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26 4:35 PM
      Hi everyone, Here is my final rough draft. Pics can be found in the
      photo gallery under Abrah. I would love to hear your feedback asap
      because I have to be finished with the class by the 28th due to
      graduation. Thanks, Abrah

      Garment Description
      The garment in question is a simple A-frame floor length dress with a
      corset inspired top. The dress delicately drapes off the shoulders
      and is accented with a thick layer of lace around the shoulders and
      chest. A row of a least a dozen cloth cover buttons are lined
      perfectly down that center of the top which is then once again
      accented with lace at the bottom of the top. The entire dress is
      covered in a different form of lace than the decorative lace
      bordering the top. The dress is cream colored.

      Garment "Date"
      Due to the shape of the dress and the material used, it is safe to
      say that the dress originated sometime in the early 20th Century.
      Specifically, the dress resembles those found in the year 1912.
      Websites such as http://www.lavendersgreen.com/Early20th.htm feature
      remakes of the dresses that are similar to the dress in question.
      The following website also features many dresses similar to the study
      garment all of which feature an A-frame dress with ornate details
      such as lace and ribbons along with the corset inspired top:
      http://www.marquise.de/en/1900/pics/1910/index.shtml.

      Garment "Story"
      I imagine that the dress would have been worn during the summer of
      1912. I image that a seamstress, specializing in making dresses for
      the individual thus creating the perfect fit, made the dress. Seeing
      as though the dress is made specifically for the individual, the
      dress is rather costly. The dress is not as expensive as a fancier
      evening gown or a dress for a special occasion such as a wedding
      dress. I image that the dress would be worn to a day party. Perhaps
      the dress could be worn to a garden wedding or an afternoon cocktail
      hour. I would have to assume that a member of at least the middle
      class if not the upper middle class wore the dress.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28 12:13 AM
        Sorry, but the dress you have in your photos can't be
        from 1912, since even from the photo I can see the
        whole body is made out of a kind of woven poly machine
        made lace that wasn't invented for another 50 years or
        more after that. The lace at the neck however is the
        most distinctive part, it is a style of lace inspired
        by 17th century types of lace that began being
        produced in the mid 1980's. Lots of evening gowns in
        the late 1980s have this distintive band of spiky
        scallops across this high wide v that sits out at the
        shoulders. It could easily be later than that, for
        the style lasted for quite a while, and some dresses
        are still made with it today, but it really isn't
        possible that the dress could be earlier than the mid
        1980s because of that lace at the neck. In other
        words you would best revise your story to include a
        wedding or prom, c. 1989.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/xX1wlB/TM

        ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer & Associate Professor