QUESTIONS

  • abrah81
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2005
      Hi Tara, I have three questions for this class. So I looked ahead at
      assignment #6 and aside from the reading am I correct in believing
      that there is not a writing assignment for that week? I was
      wondering what we were supposed to do with our garment of clothing
      that we found from a time before we were born? I thought that it was
      due on March 10, but there is no mention of it in assignment #7.
      Finally, I was wondering where we can go to look at our grades.
      Thanks for all you help, Abrah
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2005
        Week six only has a short assignment, that is posting
        your reflections on corsets (the link from "Step 2"
        http://costumes.org/HISTORY/100pages/18th_century_stays.htm
        in the chapter) because the next week's assignment
        (making and tying a regency neckcloth) tends to be
        arduous for most people.

        The reason I let people know very early about the need
        to find a garment is that often people have a
        time-consuming struggle to get one if they are in a
        remote location or want to buy one on eBay. This
        gives people ample time to bid for and lose, then bid
        for and win, then get a garment shipped to them if
        they are in a locality without access to a vintage
        clothing store, costume collection or family attic. I
        have previously had students in this class in places
        like rural Alaska, Australia and Poland that needed
        the extra time to get something shipped to a rural
        location. The reason for the March 10th "due" date is
        so that one may (if one does not have a digital camera
        or scanner) take a set of photos of both the neckcloth
        assignment and the study garment (with a disposable or
        other film camera) at the same time and take it in or
        send it off for processing onto digital format early
        enough to be useful. If you already have your garment
        and wish to get to work on the final project early, go
        week 8
        http://costumes.org/classes/fashiondress/IndustrialRevolution.htm

        week 11
        http://costumes.org/classes/fashiondress/vintageresearch.htm

        and week 13
        http://costumes.org/classes/fashiondress/studygarment2.htm
        for details on how to do work on the parts of your
        final project.

        I still haven't got the grade pages up, I'm presently
        still digging myself out of the mountain of eMail...

        I taped your show on friday and the tape is getting
        transferred to VHS by the library. Once it does you
        should be able to make copies using the dept VCR.

        =====
        --
        ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer & Associate Professor