week one assignment: cholis and regional attire the workplace

  • Joyce
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hello,

      The comments made here by Beth are partially true, but not entirely. I
      am an ATS dancer, and for dance class (e.g. proactive) I wear the
      stretchy cotton short sleeved low "V" cut, open back version of the
      choli. Some of the dancers will wear this type of top for performances
      as well, but these type of tops, worn at performances, are almost
      never alone, instead they have coin bras worn over them, and sometimes
      a Turkish or Ghawazee style coat.

      Many ATS dancers take the very elaborately decorated (beaded and/or
      mirrors) vintage Indian cholis and will wear them for performances (if
      they fit, the Indian women seem to be on the small size compared to
      many Americans), so frequently these tops have to modified and
      tailored, adding in new panels and/or gussets to allow for movement,
      while still trying to preserve the original look of the choli.

      The south has a very lax attitude about women's 'fleshiness'. A good
      portion of women in the south are obese, yet they still wear clothing
      that exposes much very of their flesh all year round, far more than
      what I am accustomed to seeing in the workplace, or in public..

      Oh, and here in the south, I have been know to wear my dance clothes
      to the store (after attending class, I frequently stop at the store to
      pick up a thing of two for dinner, or creamer for my coffee). Even
      though I tend to be on the more modest side of showing off my skin,
      after being here for two years, the attitude described above has worn
      off on me, at least enough to let me show my belly, just a little bit.

      Joyce E Young

      --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "Lady Mariota"