Week 1 Assignment - Hawaii Business clothing

  • Carlynn
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2005
      I live in Hawaii where Aloha clothing is the acceptable and
      preferred business attire. There are no neckties in Honolulu and, as
      little as a year ago, there was major discussion in the press whether
      stockings were required for women in business (answer, yes, but we
      don't like it.)
      The pecking order of the Aloha shirt is very specific. Shirts by
      Reyn Spooner or Tori Richard are at the top of the ladder and
      perceived in the same manner a New Yorker would recognize a suit by
      Brooks Brothers or Armani. The shirt is worn tucked in and belted, a
      nod toward mainland sensibilities. Everyone else wears them loose.
      It is essential that the shirt have a single breast pocket on the left
      side and that the pattern of the pocket match perfectly with the
      background fabric as to be invisible at first glance. Nothing, expect
      perhaps a single business card, is ever placed in this pocket. In
      business, the Aloha shirt is worn with good slacks and expensive shoes
      with socks are worn.
      Women have more options but choices become more complicated.
      Muumuu for business is acceptable, sometimes required depending on the
      workplace, only on Fridays. It is essential that the pattern be
      matched at all seams. If shoes (usually pumps and hose) are required
      in the workplace, they may be replaced with good sandals on Friday and
      stockings are optional. If stockings are not worn, the pedicure must
      be perfect and legs tanned. Spray on hose and tanning salons are big
      business in Honolulu and there is a nail shop on just about every
      block. Aloha dresses are specific to Hawaii but are carried by every
      major mainland department store in the Islands. They are loose
      mid-calf or ankle length dresses made of rayon or silk. They usually
      have a round neck, short sleeves and have decoration at the bodice.
      If sleeveless, a matching jacket is required for business. The fabric
      designs are specific to the local manufacturer and easily spotted as
      mikihilina (fashionable) or makepono (cheap).
      Of course, after work, anything goes!
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 24, 2005
        Can anyone else on the list give examples of clothes
        that are considered OK business attire in your regions
        that would be considered weird elsewhere?

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/xX1wlB/TM

        =====
        --
        ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer & Associate Professor
      • elizkam
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 24, 2005
          I would love to be able to wear a muumuu to work! Although around
          here(the deep south) I'm pretty sure it would be considered
          unprofessional. And your comments made me go check my muumuu. I'm
          afraid my patterns don't match at the seems. I guess if I ever get a
          chance to head out to Hawaii, I better leave it home. But its still
          darn comfy!
          Elizabeth

          --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "Carlynn"

        • misswisc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 25, 2005
            When the Green Bay Packers are playing on Monday night footbool, most businesses in my area permit "Packer Attire" for that day. Usually is a jersey over a turtleneck and jeans. Sometimes it's a polo shirt with the Packer logo. Even the school I teach at suspends the dress code for the day to let the kids wear Packer clothes.

            Kristi R-C
          • fsjlj4uafedu
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 26, 2005
              --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, misswisc@a... wrote:
              > When the Green Bay Packers are playing on Monday night footbool,
              most businesses in my area permit "Packer Attire" for that day.
              Usually is a jersey over a turtleneck and jeans. Sometimes it's a
              polo shirt with the Packer logo. Even the school I teach at suspends
              the dress code for the day to let the kids wear Packer clothes.

              > Kristi R-C

              Seriously? Sounds great to me, I am a packers fan. It's great that
              the dress code is put off so that people can show their team logo.
              Thanx for the tidbit
            • Alexandra
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 30, 2005
                Carlynn,
                I never knew that Aloha clothes were like that. I always just
                thought of them as shirts, I never stoped to think that they would
                be like other clothes in the sence that they would have high
                fashion designes and cheep knock offs. It surprises me that I never
                thought about that. Thanks for opening my eyes. Knowing me I would
                win a trip to Hawaii and buy a aloha shirt amd then end up being
                mortified when someone pointed out that the whole island could tell
                that my shirt was cheep.
                Thank you,
                Ali Sattler