Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] week 1 assignment- group

  • misswisc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 23, 2005
      In a message dated 1/23/5 11:09:09 AM, Elizkam@... writes:
      <<Anyone out hunting and not wearing any sort of camo are generally scorned.>>

      In Wisconsin, we wear (Woodland Green - similar to Mossy Oak) camo for fowl
      hunting and "blaze" orange for everything else. And we wear it everywhere
      during deer season because it makes you less likely to be shot at. Even people who
      don't hunt but live in the woods will wear a blaze orange hat or vest during
      deer season.

      Kristi
    • Carlynn
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 23, 2005
        Camo (cammies) is the accepted hunting attire for Hawaiian pig hunters
        as well but the comment about "the scent" amuses me. Do deer hunters
        really believe that the deer can sense their April-fresh smell or is
        this simply a macho-manly reaction to little womanly cleanliness?

        I'm afraid my prejudices are showing...
      • elizkam
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2005
          According to the guys I talked to, the deer know the differences
          between scent. Some of them will go so far as to scent their clothes
          by rubbing the scent glands from the deer on their camo. It depends
          as to what they are hunting as to which scent they might use. Doe
          scent will attract bucks. For trophy hunting, they will use buck
          scent then rattle old antlers in branches to try and attract the
          biggest buck in the area. One of my coworkers even had his coveralls
          out in his truck. With a bit of food bribery, he brought them out so
          I could see them. They did not smell good. Even got some pics for
          y'all. Will be posted to my website soon hopefully!
          And while everyone seems to agree deer are colorblind, apparently
          they are quite sensitive to pattern breaks. So the guys I talked to
          wouldn't consider wearing anything bright orange. That would be even
          worse than mixing camo patters!
          Luckily the hunting seems to be more of a social activity than a
          serious quest for deer. Seems most guys only bag a couple of deer a
          year. Sometimes they go out just to look at the deer, not shoot.
          Elizabeth

          --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "Carlynn"

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2005
            We once did a version of the Three Sisters up here in
            AK where all the clothes were done in Fairbanks modern
            dress. Fairbanks is actually SO like the little town
            with a military base in the 3 Sisters that it all sort
            of worked. However, the one thing that didn't fit
            easily was the (offstage) duel between the military
            officers near the end. One day while struggling with
            this problem, I asked myself how would two guys from
            the base do a duel (given that they are illegal)? And
            if they were going to do one, and why bring along the
            alcoholic Doctor? Eventually I decided they'd all
            dress as if to go hunting, with an "impartial witness"
            to verify the winner's story, then do it in the woods,
            and call any casualty a "hunting accident" to avoid
            prosecution or awkward questions at the ER. We then
            stuck them in various bits of moose hunter camo and
            stuff for the scene where they are about to go off to
            fight, and everyone seemed to follow the logic of it.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/xX1wlB/TM

            =====
            --
            ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer & Associate Professor
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
              As I recall when driving through South Georgia, the
              main thing they seemed to shoot at were road signs!
              It made reading the pockmarked things really difficult
              the further south you went. Alaskans don't seem to go
              for shooting road signs so much as each other. For
              those of you on this list from the Lower 48 a "Spenard
              Divorce" is one where you shoot your spouse. Spenard
              is a slightly rough section of Anchorage, but the term
              applies throughout the state.

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/xX1wlB/TM

              =====
              --
              ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer & Associate Professor
            • Rachel Blackwell
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 26, 2005
                I found your thoughts on clothing of hunters hilarious because you just
                described my dad. He lives in Atlanta and has hunting buddies all over
                that he hunts with all the time. It is so true how hunters do not want
                their clothes washed. My dad even has a special soap that is supposed to
                smell like deer or something that he washes his clothes with and I must
                say that is the only time he will do his own laundry. Also, my dad spends
                a fortune on his hunting clothes. He is just like a child, he "has to
                have" whatever hat or pants are new and exciting. Anyway, I found your
                thoughts about the hunting man's culture very interesting and, to my
                knowledge, accurate.

                Rachel Blackwell