week 1 assignment- group

  • elizkam
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 23, 2005
      The Deer hunters of N. Fla/ S. Ga

      One common group of people in north Florida/ south Georgia are the
      deer hunters. These are the men you see out in the wood and fields
      dressed in their camo just waiting for the right deer to come along.
      They often go out in groups together although they may or may not
      share a stand. There is a surprising amount of tradition,
      superstition and even snobbery in the clothing that distinguishes
      them.

      There are several types of camo that can be worn. The traditional
      military patterns or the forest patterns. In this area of the
      country, "Mossy Oak Breakup" is the preferred pattern. Those wearing
      military patterns are often viewed as beginners or fakes. Anyone out
      hunting and not wearing any sort of camo are generally scorned.

      Even for those wearing the proper "Mossy Oak Breakup" there are
      choices in clothing, so each hunter can show a little individuality.
      They can choose from multiple pieces or coveralls. Skull caps or
      ball caps. Boots or boots. Who would hunt in anything other than
      boots? There are strong opinions on both sides as to which
      combination is best.

      Although some men do wear their hunting gear out in public, it is
      usually frowned upon by other hunters. Those who do strut around
      town in camo are usually trying to impress the women with
      their "manly" hunting skills. The number of women impressed by
      infrequently washed clothing is debatable. Washing or wearing camo
      in public is supposed to ruin the "scent." Ideally, after each
      hunt, the garment should be air dried, then sealed in an air-tight
      bag. At the end of the season, it may be hand washed with no
      detergents. Letting one's wife put it in the washer and dryer is
      considered to almost ruin the outfit. The "scent" will be all wrong.

      Elizabeth
    • misswisc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 23, 2005
        In a message dated 1/23/5 11:09:09 AM, Elizkam@... writes:
        <<Anyone out hunting and not wearing any sort of camo are generally scorned.>>

        In Wisconsin, we wear (Woodland Green - similar to Mossy Oak) camo for fowl
        hunting and "blaze" orange for everything else. And we wear it everywhere
        during deer season because it makes you less likely to be shot at. Even people who
        don't hunt but live in the woods will wear a blaze orange hat or vest during
        deer season.

        Kristi
      • Carlynn
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2005
          Camo (cammies) is the accepted hunting attire for Hawaiian pig hunters
          as well but the comment about "the scent" amuses me. Do deer hunters
          really believe that the deer can sense their April-fresh smell or is
          this simply a macho-manly reaction to little womanly cleanliness?

          I'm afraid my prejudices are showing...
        • elizkam
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2005
            According to the guys I talked to, the deer know the differences
            between scent. Some of them will go so far as to scent their clothes
            by rubbing the scent glands from the deer on their camo. It depends
            as to what they are hunting as to which scent they might use. Doe
            scent will attract bucks. For trophy hunting, they will use buck
            scent then rattle old antlers in branches to try and attract the
            biggest buck in the area. One of my coworkers even had his coveralls
            out in his truck. With a bit of food bribery, he brought them out so
            I could see them. They did not smell good. Even got some pics for
            y'all. Will be posted to my website soon hopefully!
            And while everyone seems to agree deer are colorblind, apparently
            they are quite sensitive to pattern breaks. So the guys I talked to
            wouldn't consider wearing anything bright orange. That would be even
            worse than mixing camo patters!
            Luckily the hunting seems to be more of a social activity than a
            serious quest for deer. Seems most guys only bag a couple of deer a
            year. Sometimes they go out just to look at the deer, not shoot.
            Elizabeth

            --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "Carlynn"

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 23, 2005
              We once did a version of the Three Sisters up here in
              AK where all the clothes were done in Fairbanks modern
              dress. Fairbanks is actually SO like the little town
              with a military base in the 3 Sisters that it all sort
              of worked. However, the one thing that didn't fit
              easily was the (offstage) duel between the military
              officers near the end. One day while struggling with
              this problem, I asked myself how would two guys from
              the base do a duel (given that they are illegal)? And
              if they were going to do one, and why bring along the
              alcoholic Doctor? Eventually I decided they'd all
              dress as if to go hunting, with an "impartial witness"
              to verify the winner's story, then do it in the woods,
              and call any casualty a "hunting accident" to avoid
              prosecution or awkward questions at the ER. We then
              stuck them in various bits of moose hunter camo and
              stuff for the scene where they are about to go off to
              fight, and everyone seemed to follow the logic of it.

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/xX1wlB/TM

              =====
              --
              ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer & Associate Professor
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
                As I recall when driving through South Georgia, the
                main thing they seemed to shoot at were road signs!
                It made reading the pockmarked things really difficult
                the further south you went. Alaskans don't seem to go
                for shooting road signs so much as each other. For
                those of you on this list from the Lower 48 a "Spenard
                Divorce" is one where you shoot your spouse. Spenard
                is a slightly rough section of Anchorage, but the term
                applies throughout the state.

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/xX1wlB/TM

                =====
                --
                ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer & Associate Professor
              • Rachel Blackwell
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 26, 2005
                  I found your thoughts on clothing of hunters hilarious because you just
                  described my dad. He lives in Atlanta and has hunting buddies all over
                  that he hunts with all the time. It is so true how hunters do not want
                  their clothes washed. My dad even has a special soap that is supposed to
                  smell like deer or something that he washes his clothes with and I must
                  say that is the only time he will do his own laundry. Also, my dad spends
                  a fortune on his hunting clothes. He is just like a child, he "has to
                  have" whatever hat or pants are new and exciting. Anyway, I found your
                  thoughts about the hunting man's culture very interesting and, to my
                  knowledge, accurate.

                  Rachel Blackwell