I am interested in the History of Fashion because..

  • Joyce
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2005
      Hi, my name is Joyce. I'm currently in Tallahassee FL.

      I am taking this class because I like costuming, mostly sci-fi and
      fantasy movie costumes, both making and wearing it, but have never
      learned anything about where the costumes may have come from and would
      like to further my knowledge for my reproductions, so I do things
      'right', at least closer to right that my first ever 'Queen's Style
      Gown' that I made out of a fabric that was totally inappropriate and
      the pattern was also very fantasy. Not that there is anything wrong
      with that approach, it was not for a Ren Faire, but for Halloween, but
      I would like to be able to understand better what is historical, and
      what is fantasy.

      I also plan to move to Alaska in a couple years : )

      Joyce
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 22, 2005
        While this class doesn't go into too much detail about things like
        fabric choices, one of the things that is helpful on the web pages for
        each era is my tendency to put up links to reccommended books and
        web sites that are good for detailed information about each era. That
        way, if you have a time period you fall in love with that you want to
        learn about in more detail than the week's assignment goes into in
        class, you have instant info, as well as reccommended books to find in
        your local library, or to buy online. In short, instant gratification
        with additional knowledge.

        --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "Joyce" <joyce@p...>
        wrote:

        > Hi, my name is Joyce. I'm currently in Tallahassee FL.
        >
        > I am taking this class because I like costuming, mostly sci-fi and
        > fantasy movie costumes, both making and wearing it, but have never
        > learned anything about where the costumes may have come from and
        would
        > like to further my knowledge for my reproductions, so I do things
        > 'right', at least closer to right that my first ever 'Queen's Style
        > Gown' that I made out of a fabric that was totally inappropriate and
        > the pattern was also very fantasy. Not that there is anything wrong
        > with that approach, it was not for a Ren Faire, but for Halloween,
        but
        > I would like to be able to understand better what is historical, and
        > what is fantasy.
        >
        > I also plan to move to Alaska in a couple years : )
        >
        > Joyce
      • lexie936
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2010
          I think fashion is a way to individualize ourselves - countries, nationalities, beliefs - from others, or to socialize ourselves with our peers, our countrymen, etc.. Fashion is everywhere and I think it would be simply fascinating to probe deeper into the subject.I've always enjoyed History.. I've always enjoyed Fashion.. so if the two of them were to be combined, it's sure to be an enjoyable subject, right? Anyways, it's my first lesson ever and I'm already really excited about finishing the course.. :)