Caucasian Chalk Circle Costumes

  • Andesnewy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2004
      Hi Folks:

      First let me apologize for the cross-posting as some of you may get this
      more than once.

      Secondly, after lurking on these groups for a while, I finally have a
      question...

      I am designing costumes for Bertolt Brecht's Caucasian Chalk Circle in New
      York City, and have a very limited budget...it's rather, shall we say,
      challenging. I was wondering if anyone has any advice, resources, etc., that they
      could point me towards for renting costumes for a show set in the Russian
      mountains just after World War II. There will be lots of peasants (their small
      costume shop's stock has a few things from a production of Fiddler a few years
      ago) as well as military gear and uniforms (Cossacks, even), and we'll need
      lots of boots (rather like riding boots, but made of softer leather than
      typical modern American riding boots) and lots of big furry hats, and lots of
      coats. I have no crew, and only one friend/volunteer with a sewing a machine.

      I'm told they usually rent from TDF's Costume Collection, but they are
      closed for a month and we'll need to find other sources.

      Anyone have any ideas?

      Many THANKS in advance for any help.

      -Brenda

    • murzaku blerina
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2004
        hi,good luck wih the play.my suggestions:try for
        sponssor.this is hard i know.but you can apply to some
        fashion creators so they make a good impression
        helping art.or some rich company or bank helping them
        with taxes.other way might be second hand stores.you
        can provide there almost ready costumes and aplicate
        the specific elements for the costumes.as buttons,furs
        or streaps.some you don t need to sew,just color like
        graffiti or sth. like this.and my last suggestion ,but
        you depend to the director on this.as it s well known
        that brecht releid his play to the solomonic laws,move
        the action in those times.then you ll need just
        colorful sheet.voals and sand on the stage.have fun
        and good luck once again.
        blerina

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail