RISD website

  • ceh437
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
      While I was working on this week's assignment on costuming a
      play, I came across this web-site. I did not know it still was on-
      line. Here's the first paragraph:

      "Curators from the RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) Museum
      were amazed and fascinated when they discovered the contents of the
      house at 514 Broadway in Providence, Rhode Island in 1989. Rooms shut
      forty-two years earlier were filled with some of the finest textiles
      and clothing from the first half of the century."

      A few years ago, there was a fantastic exhibit at the museum
      showing many of the clothes that the Tirocchi sisters created in
      their Providence atlier. It pertains to this week's work on "Turn of
      the Century" fashion, & you can see a lot of the garments & details
      at this site.

      http://www.risd.edu/deptsite.cfm?Department=Tirocchi

      There is more information about treatment of vintage garments here:
      http://tirocchi.stg.brown.edu/514/notes/textile_intro.html
      If you click on "next" or "continue" you'll get right to the details
      of the exhibit.

      A summary of the exhibit, given in a talk at a Univ. of R. I.
      course is found here:

      http://www.uri.edu/hss/tmd/tmd402G/hay.html

      Tara, is the first page cited above useful to you in your course
      links? Happy surfing. Celia
    • fftmm1
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2004
        I have a link to this on my costume museums/collections page, but I think you
        are right, I should add a link to the site from the class pages, since the
        site shows better than any others do how one may use a group of period
        costumes and their attendant records to rediscover a microcosim of life in the
        past. The Tirroci collection also now has spawned a book:
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0911517693/thecostumersmani

        --
        ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer & Associate Professor
      • ceh437
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10, 2004
          --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, fftmm1 <fftmm1@u...>
          wrote:
          "The Tirrochi collection also now has spawned a book:
          > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0911517693/thecostumersmani

          Hi Tara,

          I went looking for this book: From Paris to Providence. First I
          thought I'd buy a copy, then checked the prices! It is a neat book,
          made even more so since I went to the exhibit, which was just
          fantastic. Thanks for the heads up on this.

          I've been having a ball with the books, most of them links from
          your website.

          Celia