Regency Neckcloth

  • ceh437
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2004
      Tying Regency Neckcloths

      My first indication that tying these neckcloths might prove …
      interesting was not from the assignment, but from reading a novel by
      Patricia C. Wrede & Caroline Stevermer, Sorcery and Cecelia or the
      Enchanted Chocolate Pot: Rding Various Magical Scandals in London and
      the Country . In this Regency era story, one of the minor characters
      is forever asking the fashionable men in the book, including Beau
      Brummel, "HOW the devil did you tie your neck cloth?, or, " What do
      you call the knot of your tie?"

      I found a couple of pieces of fabric in my stash, about 10" wide by
      60" long & set out to try tying some of the neckcloths, using both the
      picture from http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~awoodley/regency/tie.html
      and the pictures from Jessica & Eleanor's sites. Another helpful site
      was www.craftycostume.com/regency_tie_reconstruction.htm

      Since I did not have a live model available, nor a dress form or hat
      stand, I hit upon the idea of using the group of spindles at the
      bottom of my stairs. I could pull the ties as tightly as I wanted,
      tugging & pulling as I wished to try to make the neckcloth look like
      the picture and/or directions. A couple of them were fairly easy due
      to their similarity to the scarves I've tied for myself, for example,
      the Oriental, the Osbaldson & the Mailcoach. Others, like the Irish
      tie, with their directions for "the horizontal indenture below the
      point of junction formed by the collateral creases", I found
      impossible to make look like the picture, or even to clearly
      understand what was wanted.

      When my son & his friend come home for a weekend, dressed in their
      tuxes, I fully intend to subject them to the torture of standing still
      for me to try tying some of these neckcloths on them!