scientific dress

  • socaloca1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2004
      Scientific Dress

      The other day I dressed for warmth to be at Wal-Mart's $1 per yard
      sidewalk sale only at the Aero Drive store in San Diego at the
      opening hour of 7a.m. I wore an ankle-length khaki colored corduroy
      skirt, yellow-white tee shirt, a transparent blouse overlay of
      horizontal stripes in various yellows, browns and khakis. For extra
      warmth I wore an old soft lacy underskirt and a soft dark green
      rimmed hat. I had a yellow leather sash in the beltloops of the skirt
      and yellow cowboy ankle boots on my feet. But the most important
      accessory of the whole outfit was the little yellow-lens sunglasses
      that added the finishing dweeby touch.
      My husband, Vlad loved the look. The ensemble was quite a departure
      for me. He said I looked very scientific and literally admired my
      scientific mind. Heh, heh. I remember that cute scene in IQ when
      Walter Mathaw as Albert Einstein together with his 3 scientific
      cronies offer their "Scientific Eye for the Mechanic Guy" and dress
      Tim Robbins to look like a scientist. They tried on him different
      elements from their own outfits, cardigans, vests, scarves etc.; `til
      they got just the distracted mismatch of muted color and pattern that
      would identify him as a member of their little group of geniuses. One
      of the old guys tousled the young man's hair to complete the look.
      My dhVlad is a scientist. Originally from Russia, he has lived and
      worked in many places around the USA but when he got to San Diego he
      said "That's it." bought a condo and planted himself here. In colder
      climates he would dress in some variation of the above look. But in
      mild San Diego he wears loose, comfortable, shorts and a loose, short
      sleeved shirt; old, very worn-in athletic shoes and no socks. Lately,
      he works at home, doing research, `deriving' and writing papers for
      science publications. In the house he has taken his disinterest in
      clothes to the extreme and is frequently in just shorts or buck naked.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 21, 2004
        I don't know which of these things seems a greater thing to be jealous
        of, getting to wear a t shirt with sheer overshirt in January, or having
        a nearly naked Russian guy to come home to. (I have a thing for Russian
        guys). Your description of the scene in IQ makes me want to see the
        movie. It always sounded interesting, but nerdly academics teaching a
        guy to dress as badly as we often do seems like something that would be
        really funny in that truth-is-funny way.

        ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer & Associate Professor