Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] (unknown)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2004
      What I wrote her to suggest, was that while she was in the UK, she could
      do substitute assignments that make use of museums she will be
      visiting. So, for example, instead of doing an online search and
      reporting on late Victorian dress based on that resource, she can go
      take some pictures and notes in say, the Museum of London, or the V&A on
      the same topic, and post that instead. This should be fun for us
      (getting to vicariously travel to cool costume collections) and more
      practical for her to get done while abroad. However, I want to stress,
      this is not just an exception for her. If any of you are in a similar
      travel situation, or if you have limited bandwidth and long stretches
      of web surfing are slow and impractical, you can do research on costumes
      in libraries, museums, and private collections. We all managed to do
      costume research before the WWW appeared and you can too, if you find
      yourself having to travel, or with a limited access computer, or just
      keen to use a variety of research sources. The posting of assignments
      needs to be on the web, since this is a web based course, but the
      research you obtain can come from anywhere it can be found.

      --
      ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer & Associate Professor