victorian sweaters and knitwear

  • naughtyteaspoon
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2003
      Online there is a mid-1890's sweater pattern
      giving handknitting instructions although it
      is machine knit.

      http://www.geocities.com/vintageconnection/VintageConnection--
      KNITVictorianLadysSweater.html

      I've seen this same sweater in a knitting
      history book, but I don't see much elsewhere
      about leg o' mutton sweaters of this time.
      In the knitting history book it was described
      as a bicyling sweater.

      Were knit sweaters not very popular at this
      time?
      Has anyone seen any references or photos of
      mid-1890's sweaters?