Subject: Survey on Barriers to Distance Education

    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2003

      This message came to me in email, so I thought I'd pass it on to you.

      ********

      This message is for anyone who believes barriers exist to
      learning at a distance. Even if you have never taken a course
      online, or even if your organization is not presently involved in
      distance learning, please read on!

      As I identify and try to make sense of barriers to
      distance education it has become clear that a "laundry-list" of
      obstacles to learning at a distance is only a first step. By
      itself, listing dozens of obstacles is not very useful for most
      educators and trainers.

      I think there is value in identifying the most common
      barriers. These appear to depend upon the stage or level of
      experience that the individual learner has developed regarding
      distance education. Therefore, I think responses are important
      from persons who are currently learning online and from those who
      have never taken an online course. The barriers perceived by an
      individual may also depend upon the type of organization he/she
      works in, or other demographical and situational variables that
      are explored in this survey.

      I invite your assistance in further data gathering by
      completing the survey located at:

      http://www.umbc.edu/oit/phonetree/student_barrier/survey.html

      Field testing found that most people completed the survey
      in less than 20 minutes. If you provide your accurate email
      address on the survey where indicated, I will notify you of
      results.

      I would also appreciate your distributing this call for
      participation widely to students or mailing lists to which you
      subscribe/own where students are found. If you are a teacher,
      this survey is not for you individually (unless you are also a
      student). But if you could distribute it to students, that would
      be greatly appreciated.

      Regards,
      Zane

      Zane Berge, Ph.D.