Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] dating a painting using period costumes

  • parsnips.1
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2003
      The photo was uploaded to this lists *Photo* page on yahoo.
      pat
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2003
        Take a look at the woman's outfit and then at picture 19 on this page:

        http://www.costumes.org/pages/18thv&a.htm

        I think they look very similar.

        The group on the right does look like a theatrical troupe to me.

        I think the men in red caps are Jews (it seems like they are being
        beaten or castigated by the other figures). Historically, Jews were
        often required to wear distinctive clothing elements so that people
        could identify them easily (for whatever reason). From this page:

        http://www3.sympatico.ca/thidas/Hungarian-history/outline.html

        comes the following statement:

        "In 1421 the magistrate of Buda [Hungary] ordered the Jews to wear red
        caps, pointy hats and a yellow spot on their outfits."

        Also, this page indicates that the custom was not unknown in England:

        http://www.rdg.ac.uk/globe/research/1997/Experimenting.htm

        "The bells also reflected the 100 churches within the square mile of
        the City of London where the [Globe] Theatre was situated in 1596,
        when The Merchant of Venice (probably written for the Theatre) was
        first performed. In fact, the musicians in the latter production,
        wearing the compulsory red caps that marked Jews out, decided
        themselves that, after helplessly watching Shylock's forced
        conversion, they had a moral obligation to leave."

        There's no reason to think there was any change in these clothing
        rules into the 18th century. -- All of this is just speculation, of
        course <G> Jean (eleanordew@...)

        --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, Kristoffer Gottlieb
        <kgottlieb@s...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > I wonder if you could help me to date this painting/picture in
        photo section called -?17-th?/. Personally I think it's Italian
        commedia dell'arte period ca. 1650-1710 but maybe you know better? I
        also wonder why two men are wearing red caps if they currently dress
        in hats? Is it characteristic for any period or region?