week 5a

  • David <msndave@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2003
      Question:
      Write a short synopsis of the text, and reflections on the attitude
      towards dress in it...

      Answer:
      The texts I decided to read and summarize were that of the poet
      Robert Herrick. In Delight in Disorder he tells the absolute
      seduction that can be in found in disordered clothing, namely
      petticoats. With Julia's Petticoat, the author compares a petticoat
      to that of the celestial canopy, (I suppose behind it is heaven?).

      Herrick's Clothes Do But Cheat and Cozen Us, is a reproach to cloths:

      AWAY with silks, away with lawn,
      I'll have no scenes or curtains drawn ;
      Give me my mistress, as she is,
      Dress'd in her nak'd simplicities ;
      For as my heart, e'en so mine eye
      Is won with flesh, not drapery.

      In contrast, Upon Julia's Clothes, is a celebration of how clothing
      can accentuate the body:

      WHENAS in silks my Julia goes,
      Then, then, methinks, how sweetly flows
      That liquefaction of her clothes.

      Next, when I cast mine eyes and see
      That brave vibration each way free ;
      O how that glittering taketh me !

      Herrick's inclination towards clothes includes shoes as well, as
      shown in The Shoe Tying:

      ANTHEA bade me tie her shoe ;
      I did ; and kissed the instep too :
      And would have kissed unto her knee,
      Had not her blush rebuked me

      The poet, rather in rebuke or in admiration of clothes always
      celebrates them. For Herrick clothes are not something you use to
      simply to cover your body, they are an accessory for the wearer's
      natural grace and style, they provide pleasure and at times they are
      even an aphrodisiac.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 26, 2003
        David wrote:

        > The poet, rather in rebuke or in admiration of clothes always
        > celebrates them. For Herrick clothes are not something you use to
        > simply to cover your body, they are an accessory for the wearer's
        > natural grace and style, they provide pleasure and at times they are
        > even an aphrodisiac.

        Which brings up this question for ALL: is there a particular type of
        clothing YOU find to be an aphrodisiac? My kinky clothing page
        http://www.costumes.org/pages/kinky.htm has links to dozens of different
        sorts of clothes sites that folks find a turn-on, ranging from men in
        dress socks to "furries" (fur animal mascot costumes), to PVC & Rubber.

        --
        ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer & Associate Professor