I'm late, I'm late, I'm late-- Assignment 1, step 5

  • dak0826 <dak0826@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2003
      Recently, I was a bridesmaid in my good friend's wedding. I noticed
      particular fashion expectations and traditions surrounding the bridal
      party. First, the bride is typically in white or a similarly pale
      color (ivory, eggshell, champagne, etc.), harking back to Victorian
      times. Her dress may also take up more space than those of her
      maids. Think 1860's crinoline hoop gowns or late Victorian-styled
      bustled gowns with extended trains. Such dresses may be richly
      decorated with ruffles, ribbons, bows, beadwork, and/or embroidery.
      And often a veil will top the bride's crown. On the other hand, the
      bridesmaids' dresses are often simple, less ornately decorated, and
      usually in a different, if not darker, color. This contrast in
      clothing definitely sets the bride apart from her accompanying
      maids. As one woman wrote in a wedding website, she saw the
      bridesmaids as an accessory; they were there to augment the bride.

      My friend chose to follow most of the fashion expectations. Her gown
      was ivory, with a beaded bodice and a full skirt with semi-cathedral
      train. She also chose to honor the tradition of "something old,
      something new, something borrowed, something blue" by wearing jeweled
      hairpins fashioned out of her mother's old earrings (her mother had
      passed away a few years ago), her new gown, borrowed pearl earrings,
      and a necklace studded with blue pearls. However, she did forgo the
      traditional veil.

      Unlike the bride, the bridesmaids often wear matching if not exactly
      the same attire. Typically, the bride makes the decision about what
      her entourage shall wear. If a bridesmaid is lucky, she will not be
      forced to purchase and wear an unflattering (i.e. hideous) AND
      expensive outfit that will never again see the light of day.
      Luckily, my friend the bride gave us the opportunity to choose our
      own dress, shoes, hairstyle, and jewelry (no Bridezilla for us, thank
      goodness). She wanted us to wear our attire for future occasions,
      which gave us the freedom to exhibit our distinct, individual taste.
      However, there were set parameters. The dresses had to be black,
      floor length, and sleeveless. Our shoes were to be black; our
      jewelry silver or silver accented. Thus, we maintained a sense of
      uniformity that set us apart from not just the bride but the guests
      as well.

      Another sense of uniformity is in "the colors." The bridal party had
      to match the colors of the wedding d├ęcor, which was black and
      silver. A thoughtful friend pointed out that it looked like Oakland
      Raiders colors, to the chagrin of the happy couple who are both
      staunch Charger fans. A touch of lavender was added to prevent
      similar comments. So, the bridal party was decked out in black
      dresses and shoes, silver accessories, clasping ivory and lavender
      bouquets, with silver ribbons. We couldn't have blended in better
      with the table linens, centerpieces, and china.

      What remains is the constant distinction between the bride and her
      bridesmaids. Perhaps there is some truth to what the website woman
      said. I mean what bride wants to be upstaged by her own bridesmaids
      on her wedding day?