assignment one

  • David <msndave@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2003
      I am interested in the History of Fashion because I love history.
      Fashion can tell us so much about the period in which the person
      lived, as well as, the person him or herself.
      I think this class should not only be interesting but also a lot of
      fun. Sometimes when I see old fashions or costumes, I asked
      myself, "What were they thinking?!"
    • Donna
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 15, 2011
        Donna Corley
        Assignment #1—Clothing worn by a social group, clique, or individual
        Gothic fashion is a style worn by the Goth subculture. The style is often dark, sometimes morbid, erotic, and sad. Typical Goth fashion is very dark hair (usually dyed black and outrageously styled); pale face with black eye shadow, eye brows, eye liner, and lips; black painted fingernails; black clothing; multiple piercings; excessive silver jewelry; and tattoos. Although individuals belonging to this subculture do not all adhere to this excessive fashion the distinctiveness of the Goth style makes anyone subscribing to even a subtle part of the style very apparent.
        The origins of the Goth style are controversial. Some say it is from Victorian dress for mourning. Others link it to the early 1980's rock music. Some say it is a protest against 1970's disco music. Regardless it has sustained its existence throughout history and into our society today. It is a popular "cult" in the United States and Western Europe.
        The ideology of the Goth subculture is complicated. It is associated with death in terms of its dark and morbid style. But they primarily do not support violence, however do support alternative lifestyles. There is not a common religion or political belief in the Goth subculture. One area where almost all members of the Goth society agree is music and fashion. Music includes hard rock and deathrock. And as mentioned above the fashion includes very black, dark, and erotic styles of dress.