Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] Re: just found a new website

  • Megan MacWilliams
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 14, 2002

      hi this is Megan

      sorry i have not have time to get on my computer i have been really bizz with dance school and work i would really love to stay on here plez

      thank Megan

       "Tara Maginnis <Tara@...>" <Tara@...> wrote:

      > Why is it whenever I click on these, it says "web site cannot be
      found?"

      Because these are annoying bits of (usually pay-for-porno) spam that
      are put up by folks who join the list, post an address that bounces to
      their porn or gambling site, then unsubscribe from the list.  The
      bounce page then is pulled out of commission very quickly thereafter
      by the host (as soon as they catch them doing a "bounce") so unless
      you click on the link soon after it is posted it is usually wiped out.
      In general if you see any message that says "just found a new
      website" or "my new pictures" without an accompanying description, it
      is one of these spammers.  Don't bother clicking on them.  It is the
      price we pay for having the list be something anyone can sign up for.
      This keeps it so anyone is interested can join and post at once, but
      it also lets in these email "litterers". I delete these messages
      nightly, and unsubscribe the spammers, but usually they have
      unsubscribed already.  ---Tara

      > Georgene
      >
      > > From: "rhynglzwoqcd <rhynglzwoqcd@y...>" <rhynglzwoqcd@y...>
      > > Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:39:52 -0000
      > > To: CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: [CostumeHistoryClass] just found a new website
      > >
      > > http://www.geocities.com/vhanprbgkqvd/index.html

      Service

      Do you Yahoo!?

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 14, 2002
        Don't worry! You are not going to get removed, you have not been
        posting porno spam! I only remove people who spam us with unrelated
        stuff. It is even ok to spam us if it IS related (like ebay auctions of
        vintage clothes, announcements about new books, etc.)

        --
        ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer & Associate Professor
      • Georgene Lockwood
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 16, 2002
          Thanks for explaining. I'll just ignore and delete!

          Georgene

          > From: "Tara Maginnis <Tara@...>" <Tara@...>
          > Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:54:13 -0000
          > To: CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [CostumeHistoryClass] Re: just found a new website
          >
          >> Why is it whenever I click on these, it says "web site cannot be
          > found?"
          >

          > Because these are annoying bits of (usually pay-for-porno) spam that
          > are put up by folks who join the list, post an address that bounces to
          > their porn or gambling site, then unsubscribe from the list. The
          > bounce page then is pulled out of commission very quickly thereafter
          > by the host (as soon as they catch them doing a "bounce") so unless
          > you click on the link soon after it is posted it is usually wiped out.
          > In general if you see any message that says "just found a new
          > website" or "my new pictures" without an accompanying description, it
          > is one of these spammers. Don't bother clicking on them. It is the
          > price we pay for having the list be something anyone can sign up for.
          > This keeps it so anyone is interested can join and post at once, but
          > it also lets in these email "litterers". I delete these messages
          > nightly, and unsubscribe the spammers, but usually they have
          > unsubscribed already. ---Tara
          >

          >> Georgene
          >>
          >>> From: "rhynglzwoqcd <rhynglzwoqcd@y...>" <rhynglzwoqcd@y...>
          >>> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:39:52 -0000
          >>> To: CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com
          >>> Subject: [CostumeHistoryClass] just found a new website
          >>>
          >>> http://www.geocities.com/vhanprbgkqvd/index.html

          >>> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          > Service
          >>> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        • Latimer, Shannon
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 16, 2002
            Hi, all,

            Is it possible, when replying to one of the group e-mails, if the reply is not meant for everyone in the costume history class mail group, to simply hit "reply" and NOT "reply to all" (there are TWO different buttons, you know)?  Every morning I'm deleting AT LEAST 2 or 3 e-mails from people that were not addressed to the group but to the original sender.

            Not to be rude, but I get enough e-mail it is, and I just don't really think it's necessary to get every single reply to the group e-mail unless it is useful for the group (i.e., websites that might interest someone or auction info, or one of the links doesn't work, etc.).  Just use your judgement...

            Does that make sense?  Maybe this doesn't bother anyone else.  Ah, well!
            :)
            Thank you.

            sorry i have not have time to get on my computer i have been really bizz with dance school and work i would really love to stay on here plez

            thank Megan

             playgirl4sheezy@... wrote:

            I am clicking on the website too and not finding anything.

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Megan MacWilliams
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 16, 2002

              thank you  meg