Re: Auditing the Costume History Class

  • eleanordew <jlc5f@virginia.edu>
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2002
      --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Clark"
      <jsbc78@h...> wrote:
      I signed up to audit this class because it sounded fun, but I'm not
      sure I'll have time to do everything involved with it. That being
      said, my passion is historical research & geneology. If any of you
      need help in that area, let me know -- I'm almost a research-aholic.
      BTW I recently graduated with a B.A. in history and am not sure of
      career directions if anyone has suggestions
      that don't involve teaching.>

      Let me put in a plug for librarianship -- At the risk of revealing my
      age, I was in your situation 30 years ago - I had just graduated with
      a B.A. in history and Spanish, and wondered what to do next. My
      avocation was and is genealogy.

      After working in libraries as a para professional for 10 years, I went
      back to school and earned my MLS. I will confess that I found
      library school itself boring, but I have never regretted getting my
      degree. Library work of any kind is very interesting, because it is
      usually intellectually stimulating, and the library degree makes your
      skills portable anywhere in the US (and all over the world, too)!

      These days librarians must be skilled with computers and various
      kinds of software. As a side benefit, you have at your fingertips the
      resources of all the libraries in the world for your historical and
      genealogical research, and, what's more, as a librarian you know how
      to use them!

      If you have questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them for you.
      -- Jean
    • eleanordew <jlc5f@virginia.edu>
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 13, 2002
        I forgot to mention that you might look into the profession of
        "independent researcher." Although it's certainly harder to be
        self-employed than it is to draw a paycheck, in many cases it's much
        more rewarding emotionally.

        One example of an independent researcher is Barbara Tuchman, the
        author of "A Distant Mirror" and "The Guns of August" among her many
        historical works. You might like to read her book of essays,
        "Practicing history : selected essays." for a discussion of this
        profession.

        Also, once you get a library degree, another possibility is starting
        your own information business.

        If you want to become a professional genealogist, look into the
        National Genealogical Society's certification program - look at the
        website http://www.ngsgenealogy.org/ (unfortunately, it's having
        problems today) - and look for their certification classes.

        -- Jean

        --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "eleanordew <jlc5f@v...>"