Beware of invitations to download

  • eleanordew
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2002
      Just in case people are not aware of this, one of the most commonly
      used tactics to spread a virus is to send emails offering something
      for free (i.e., downloads) with clickable links. You click on the
      link and it routes you to an automatic virus download.

      I recommend that you be very suspicious of any emails from people you
      don't know - or emails from people you DO know, with attachments that
      you haven't asked for. Don't download any attachments, and don't click
      on any links.

      I also suggest that those people who have clicked on the links posted
      to this board should run their antivirus software (you do have
      antivirus software?) immediately to make sure that you haven't
      accidentally downloaded a virus.

      Yours, for safe computing ...

      Jean
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2002
        I want to second this statement. I've not been watching the board
        lately while I'm working on Lysistrata and it seems that somebody has
        been inventing new psudonyms and posting messages like "download this"
        or "New Picts" to this group. I've unsubscribed the most recent
        offenders, and pulled off these posts, but most problem posts came
        from "users" who only subscribed, posted, and promtly unsubscribed
        the same day. At the very least there should be a rational message
        that makes sense for the group telling you what a link is about. Also
        photos for this group can be posted in the photos section of the
        group. Be a bit suspicious if somebody isn't putting them in the
        group files. (unless it is me, in which case the url will begin with
        http://www.costumes.org and then point you to a html page at the site)
        --Tara Maginnis