week12

  • swall
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2002
      Week 9

      Chinese traditional dress

      Chinese traditional costume was not subject to such crucial changes as
      western European one, and remained virtually unchanged through many
      centuries. In the 17th century, with the beginning of Manchu rule, the
      costume did change however. Originally traditional han wear consisted of
      loose trousers, usually gathered at the ankle, and coat - of various length,
      reaching either to the calf or ankle, opened in front and with long,
      straight sleeves. The Manchu wear, enforced in the 17th century and
      compulsory as a formal outfit, consisted of trousers and a coat, yet the
      Manchu coat closed at one side with loops and toggles, and the sleeves were
      close fitting with a horseshoe cuff. Manchu women did not wear trousers bur
      skirts and Chinese women, for formal occasions, put the skirts over their
      trousers.
      The outfit, both Han and Manchu continued up to the 20th century unchanged,
      yet with the cultural revolution in 1911, the western fashions began to seep
      through. Nowadays the blue-collar workers wear the traditional costumes,
      mostly those made of cotton, not the silk ones, whereas the white-collar
      workers bedeck themselves in western suits and skirts. Casual wear is a
      mixture of the traditional and European, and it is common to see people
      dressed in Chinese trousers and T-shirts. What is interesting, however, is
      the fact that the traditional Chinese costumes, especially women's dresses
      (i.e. cheongsam) are recognized as elegant eveningwear among Western
      countries. Also short dresses and blouses in the Chinese style are popular
      among European women. The traditional outfits are still worn by monks and
      people practicing Chinese martial arts like kung fu or the meditation 'in
      motion' - tai chi chuan.

      Izabela

      --

      Tego nie znajdziesz w zadnym sklepie!
      [ http://oferty.onet.pl ]
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2002
        Turn of the century:
        This was the most time consuming assignment yet!
        I spent days searching for the links and checking, selecting and rechecking.
        but I also found it most enjoyable :-))

        And below are the results : lionks to the pages I would use for equipping
        the actors for a play set in 1900.

        patterns:
        http://www.sensibility.com/vintageimages/1900s/
        http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/