CostumeHistoryClass] Handsewing

  • swall
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
      Ick. Can you imagine sewing that all by hand?

      Indeed, I can: apart from few machine sewn things made a few years ago, the rest of my garb is sewn entirely by hand. Surprisingly enough, it is not as time consuming as I had thought it to be: a trained houppelande with open, scallopped sleeves took me about 3 days of work, a 12th century dress, just one (though the embroidery did take a winter..). It is by far more rewarding, both in the progress ( no noise!) and in result.
      Do have a try, Melissa. But take care: it is addictiva and once you start it, you'll never want to come back to mashine sewing again... :-))

      Izabela

      Czy masz juz prezent na Walentynki?
      [ http://www.onetmail.onet.pl/oferta ]

    • ecomaas@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
        Ladies!
        I am in aew. I can't believe one would take recreations to such a degree. Do you really spin your own yarn, then weave your cloth, then hand sew your clothes?
        I would love to see examples of your work. When we all get our web sites up and running, please scan in pictures.
        I myself work at a theatre where time is of the essence. We put whole shows together in sometimes two weeks. We think flatlining everything is a miracle. Our sewing machines hum day and night! Hand work comes only in the form of sewing on feather boas, or sequins, and only sometimes!!
        Keep up the good work.
        Best regards to all in my class.
        Patty in Illinois
      • Jennifer Bidlingmeyer
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
          Sometimes, even other reenactors think that those of us who handsew are fanatical. My fiance thinks I am nuts--but I will say that handsewing is much more practical, in some instances. For example: I made my entire first set of clothes: shift, shirtgown, two petticoats in a week over Christmas, one year. We had an 8 hour car ride to my Grandparents, so while I was in hte passenger seat, I made a shift and petticoat on the way down, a shirtgown while I was there, and another petticoat on the way home. The only things I did outside of the car were cut and assemble the clothing. This fall, I made a cap on the way to an event. Something I wouldn't have been able to do with a machine!

          Jennifer

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002

            Ladies!
            I am in aew. I can't believe one would take recreations to such a degree. Do you really spin your own yarn, then weave your cloth, then hand sew your clothes?
            I would love to spin and weave! I cannot though, all weaving I know is the Viking tablet weaving..... But I do hope one day I will learn to do those things.
            For the time being the hand sewing will have to do. And, as Jennifer pointed it out, it is extremely practical: I also work on trains, watching tv, or even taking my work to social events - I do not normally have much time for it, so I try not to waste a minute...
             Greetings to all the class,
             Izabela

            Tego nie znajdziesz w zadnym sklepie!
            [ http://oferty.onet.pl ]

          • Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
              Here at UAF we are also usually rather kamikaze in our sewing habits,
              but certain shows or things are treated differently than others. For
              instance we were quite shameless in turning a blue velour bathrobe and
              bits of craft felt into a super-tacky 18th Century uniform for George
              Washington in the political parody "Yahoo Nation"
              http://www.costumes.org/pages/yahoo_nation.htm which was deliberately
              cartoonish and cheesy, whereas for Les Liaisons, we are going on a
              rather insanely realistic detailed route, with hand made real hair wigs,
              a hand quilted silk petticoat on Tourvel, and other bits of hand-made
              insanity. That is why realism is so expensive.

              ecomaas@... wrote:

              > Ladies!
              > I am in aew. I can't believe one would take recreations to such a
              > degree. Do you really spin your own yarn, then weave your cloth, then
              > hand sew your clothes?
              > I would love to see examples of your work. When we all get our web
              > sites up and running, please scan in pictures.
              > I myself work at a theatre where time is of the essence. We put whole
              > shows together in sometimes two weeks. We think flatlining everything
              > is a miracle. Our sewing machines hum day and night! Hand work comes
              > only in the form of sewing on feather boas, or sequins, and only
              > sometimes!!
              > Keep up the good work.
              > Best regards to all in my class.
              > Patty in Illinois
              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer/Associate Professor
              Chair of the Theatre Department of University of Alaska Fairbanks
              Website: "The Costumer's Manifesto" at http://www.costumes.org