I am interested in the history of fashion because...

  • fjhirom
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 30, 2002
      I'm going to have to go along with Tara on the idea that what people
      wear and why they wear it intrigues me. I cannot say that I am person
      of high fashion; I tend to just put on clothes to put them on. I find
      however that I will wear some clothes and not others based on how I
      think others may perceive them. My question is always: Who the hell
      set the trend in the first place? Someone had to be first and there
      had to be reasons behind it. I am always intrigued by seeing
      clothes/costumes that obviously started in one economic class and
      jumped to another. I understand why the middle class and poor would
      follow examples set by the rich, but why the other way around. Is it
      only this country that the rich sometimes "dress down"? And do they
      do it as some sort of empathetic gesture or maybe because they don't
      want to feel so isolated at the top (as if they haven't lost touch
      with "the people")?
    • shirleyn1214
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 9, 2002
        several years ago, we (I, my husband and 3 children) joined a Dark
        Ages/Viking living history group. For several reasons, (with which I
        won't bore you) I became the group's "costumer". Not having the
        first clue about costuming in general, let alone "period correct"
        costuming, I had to do my homework so to speak. I quickly realized
        that lifestyle, geography, climate, religion/superstitions, social
        class, marital status/age and gender all had an impact on what people
        wore. What struck me is that although many of those same criteria
        apply in today's society, it is just not something many people give
        conscious thought to. We all just go to the mall and buy whatever
        item(s) we like which are within our budget, fit within the current
        fashion trends and appeal to our personal taste. In contrast, (at
        least from the Dark Age time period) people made their own garments
        beginning with raising the animals and/or the crops needed to obtain
        the raw materials. I find this to be quite a fascinating subject and
        want to expand upon my current level of knowledge.

        Shirley in Nebraska
      • G. Lockwood
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 30, 2002
          New non-enrolled student here. I've been studying costume for
          probably 20 years with a special interest in Victorian. Currently,
          I'm president of our local Victorian Society and working on a
          persona for 1892 in northern Arizona.

          "I'm interested in the history of fashion because I believe it is one
          of the most personal statements of an era's character, beliefs,
          values and actions. Even in an era where clothing is mass
          produced, our choices, embellishments and alterations reflect
          who we are in a very individual way. You can't get much more
          personal than underwear!"
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
            Greetings "G", Things will begin to get more active in January when
            the class starts again. In the meantime you might like to see the
            pages I'm working on for the future online version of Beginning
            Costume Design and Construction. It is mostly just pictures now, but
            I've been spending all my post Lysistrata time on this project, so I
            hope to get more writing up soon too:

            http://costumes.org/pages/254/thr254projects.htm

            --- In CostumeHistoryClass@y..., "G. Lockwood" <glockwood@b...> wrote:
            > New non-enrolled student here. I've been studying costume for
            > probably 20 years with a special interest in Victorian. Currently,
            > I'm president of our local Victorian Society and working on a
            > persona for 1892 in northern Arizona.
            >
            > "I'm interested in the history of fashion because I believe it is
            one
            > of the most personal statements of an era's character, beliefs,
            > values and actions. Even in an era where clothing is mass
            > produced, our choices, embellishments and alterations reflect
            > who we are in a very individual way. You can't get much more
            > personal than underwear!"
          • lauramurdoch82
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 20, 2008
              Hi, I am interested in the history of fashion because I am very
              interested in stereotyping and clothes worn by different people of
              different times, groups, places. I find the history behind each era
              fascinating. I am currently working in a costume hire store and would
              love to learn more about fashion through history - why, where and when
              people wore particualr costumes.
            • Sarah
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 26, 2008
                I am also interested in the details behind costumes and clothing in
                general. As a plus-sized woman, I have always been fascinated as to
                what people see as being attractive. A woman's curves have either been
                celebrated, encouraged, and exagerated in the past (corsets and push-up
                bras were invented for this reason) or they have been discouraged and
                hidden (Flapper Girls, anyone?). As a woman who is interested in
                getting into the costume industry, I would like to learn about the
                background behind why society places these "norms" on people and how
                people fit those norms, yet make them their own and express
                individuality at the same time.

                --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "lauramurdoch82" <laura-
                murdoch@...> wrote:

                > Hi, I am interested in the history of fashion because I am very
                > interested in stereotyping and clothes worn by different people of
                > different times, groups, places. I find the history behind each era
                > fascinating. I am currently working in a costume hire store and would
                > love to learn more about fashion through history - why, where and
                when
                > people wore particualr costumes.

              • aprilabigsnail
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 17, 2008
                  I am interested in the history of fashion because I love history, fashion, and beauty and these
                  all combine to make one heck of a subject matter. My overall goal is to better understand the
                  clothing in order to better understand the cultural context of the time.
                • mllestar2
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 17, 2008
                    I have been asked to use my experience and talent as a costumer and
                    make-up artist to teach children and adults how to work on a costume or
                    makeup crew for theatrical productions. The new, non-profit performance
                    academy I have helped start in Corona, CA wants to do something new...
                    offer complete education in the arts, including the technical aspects.
                    While I did a lot of costuming and makeup work in high school and
                    college (including a costuming internship at the Globe Theatre in San
                    Diego), it has been over 12 years since I have used those skills and I
                    find my theory and history a bit rusty. If I am going to wear the
                    exalted mantle of "teacher" then I want to make sure I remember what I
                    am talking about. I would like to eventually go back to university and
                    finish a formal degree in Costuming and Make-up (or "Character Imagery"
                    as we call it at Curtain Call) but right now money and time are tight.
                    I feel this will be a great way for me to retouch on what I knew and
                    find out what I don't.
                  • brandyinthesky
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 11, 2008
                      I love clothes! I love vintage clothes especially. And since I am a
                      classic film buff, as well as a period film buff, I am intrigued by the
                      costuming. Anxious to finally study and learn more about it!
                    • andrina.rout
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 6, 2010
                        I have always loved the look of clothes from different eras and have dabbled in costume making for amateur theatre, friends and family. I love the different fabrics and styles, but I also find the way fashion reflects the society of the time to be fascinating. I love history, especially the history of everyday things, like fashion, furniture, customs and so on, as these things are a window into the lives of everyone from the past, not just those history remembers with a name.
                      • pankhuri_88
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 31 8:48 AM
                          I am curious about how people have used fashion to express themselves in the past. I also feel that fashion has a transformational power to change lives.
                        • chelsey0726
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 12, 2010
                            I am interested in the history of fashion because as an aspiring costume designer I am interested in better understanding not only what the trends of specific times were, but also how the various events of the time affected these trends.
                          • cheriebellingham@ymail.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 5, 2011
                              Hello, I am interested on teh history of fashion because i want to go into video game design as a concept artist thus i'll have to know the correct style of clothing for the correct era.
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 5, 2011
                                Good reason!

                                Tara Maginnis, Costume Designer at Diablo Valley College. See my website http://costumes.org and my DVD series. Http://theatricalmakeupdesign.com

                                On Jan 5, 2011, at 11:11 AM, "cheriebellingham@..." <cheriebellingham@...> wrote:

                                > Hello, I am interested on teh history of fashion because i want to go into video game design as a concept artist thus i'll have to know the correct style of clothing for the correct era.

                              • shoping4shooz
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 25, 2011
                                  I am interested in the history of fashion because when I am older, I want to do something in the field of fashion, whether it's design or textile making, and my school doesn't have any courses that has anything to do with fashion. So I figure, if I want to do well in the future then I have to be responsible and educate myself.

                                • ella_fowler@ymail.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 24, 2012
                                    I am interested in the history of fashion because I am very interested in learning about the spirit of the times and the reasons why people wore the various clothing styles throughout the ages. I went to school for dressmaking and fashion design, and am working on starting a clothing business, and have come to realize that my niche and interest is in costume design. I have always loved history, and the psychology behind clothing, so I hope to learn a lot from this class.
                                  • pike.emma
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 25, 2013
                                      I think it was 1996 in London. I had recently graduated with a degree in history and was reluctantly taking my first steps towards a career in law. The Imperial War Museum was showing an exhibition entitled "Wartime Dress" and I went to see it. One exhibit I still remember today. It was a clipping from a 1940s magazine giving top tips about which shades of lipstick look best with the utilitarian khaki uniforms many women were wearing to work in support of the war effort. That one small piece unlocked a very personal and human history that I had rarely glimpsed in my academic studies and I felt triumphant to know that the power of femininity, the desire to look and feel feminine was undiminished by the adversity of war. I am not a costume designer (I am no longer a lawyer either) - I am just someone who has always loved history - and fashion - and I want to learn more.
                                    • vanessabrunel
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 3, 2013
                                        Hi Emma, I found the anecdote you told in your post very interesting. It is amazing how these women went through this war period keeping their feminity even in the worst moments of their life. But I think it was a small piece of hope that this war could stop one day and that they would recover their previous life. Best regards vanessa