Week One Essay

  • aurora80904
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2002
      My name is Dianne Hartshorn-my ID that may come up is my daughter's
      member ID. In case any of you are wondering the aurora80904 is fr0m
      the Aurora on the Secret Adventures of Jules Verne (great costumes)

      I live in Colorado Springs CO, which is a city of about ¾ million
      people. Most of our employment opportunities come from either our
      military basis or our high tech industry. Our city, which was
      founded in 1870, still contains some of the original ambiance of the
      past. To the west of the city are the areas once known as Colorado
      City founded in 1859 and Manitou Springs circa 1870. Many parts of
      these areas are as they were 100 years ago. You still find the cute
      cottages as well as the larger Victorian homes. The uniqueness of
      this area is in contrast to the other side of town with its stamped
      out houses which all look the same. There is no individuality at
      all. What does any of this have to do with clothing?? Well I will
      explain. The newer part of the city is home for the higher income
      high tech people. These are the people who show their status as by
      the designer clothing they wear. There again there is no indiviality
      as with their living accomodations. They belong to groups of other
      higher income people who seem always to dress the same. No one is
      willing to show his or her indivuality. There is an essence of
      materialism and peer pressure where everyone is the same and drives
      the same vehicle, Bmers or Suv's. Now as we venture to the older
      section of town we find a group of people, who may be due to the
      income status as this section of town is more populated to working
      class families, you find individuals. Often times this side of town
      is home to more of the New Age and Metaphysical people. Manitou
      Springs has been known to be home to witches as well as mecca for
      artists of all kinds. As you walk down these streets you might as
      well as stepped back in time to the 60's for the look in the area is
      very much the "hippie" free sprit look. Everyone is an individual
      and true to them selves. The women you usually find dressed in the
      long flowing skirts and tops. Their hair is usually worn long and
      straight. The men also have the long hair and may wear jeans along
      with the linen shirts so popular at one time in the 60's. The
      uniqueness of the clothing in this area gives one sort of a sense of
      identity. When out of their normal soundings, they are easily
      recognized as a denizen of the "Westside". This "hippie" style is
      what I was born to wear and thank goodness I live on the westside.
    • ella_fowler@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2012
        The style of dress among most of the people in my small midwestern town is fairly casual, including jeans, tennis shoes, and sweatshirts. There is however, a large group of artists and musicians here that really stand out from the majority of people and their everyday style.
        For example, most of these people live downtown, and dress either in natural, flowing lines, such as in long skirts and sundresses, or in clean structured lines, such as in skinny jeans, tweed blazers, and tall boots. The one thing they all have in common is setting one another apart with unique, modern jewelry, handbags, or hats. A lot of the artists shop thrift and vintage, and use these items to help differentiate their style of dress. Many of the artists who wear the more natural lines also wear organic clothing and cosmetics. They dress their casual clothing up for religious or social occasions with more vivid cosmetics or with a standout piece, a cool bag for example.
        They visibly identify themselves within a group by using clothing to show their interests, for example - the indie music person wears the sundress with a classic blazer and the newest style of boots, or the gamer wears a gaming t-shirt with a pair hipster glasses and chucks. I would say this is also how they show status within the group also, and by wearing the newest most trendy styles made to fit in with their group mind style, and attract different genders according to where their style and particular interests are as well.
        Finally, I would say that they express individual taste with the accessories they wear, the brands they choose, and the overall style they wear, such as natural, classic, or techno modern. I feel that a lot of the choices of clothing have to do with modern technology, making an image statement, and lifestyle for this group, more so than wearing clothes just for comfort and warmth. What I mean by this is, wearing sweats to stay warm and run errands (majority), as opposed to wearing clothing to express a career and social status identity.