Re: whitework and blackwork (LONG)

  • thecostumersmanifesto
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 14, 2002
      This is what I love about this list and this class. I've been off on
      vacation, and now I return to find that a week before class has
      offically begun, you all have managed to start educating one another
      without my even having to do anything! It looks like it will be
      another fun semester where I just have to periodically have to stir
      the pot.

      Those of you who participated last time will notice that the weekly
      pages and assignments have changed slightly based on last year's
      student suggestions. More time is given to prepare the final project,
      and the timeline for working on it begins earlier so there is less of
      a crunch at the end. I've also added a chapter and assignments on
      Traditional Dress.

      To anyone who might possibly have joined the list without knowing it
      is connected to a class, may I suggest that you go to
      http://www.costumes.org/pages/fashiondress/thr355main.htm to see the
      information you need to more fully participate in the list. Each week
      of the soon to begin semester has a "lecture" and assignments to be
      found at this site which you can access even if you are not enrolled
      in the class.

      However I'd like to encourage as many of you as possible to offically
      enroll in the course, especially since last time I found that 8 out of
      9 enrolled students entirely finished the class, as compared to only 2
      of the 90 unenrolled students. When you have a grade and deadlines,
      you motivate yourself to finish. When you don't have a deadline,
      usually you won't. To sign up go to
      http://www.costumes.org/pages/fashiondress/how_do_i_enroll.htm for
      further information. This also helps me to convince my dean that it
      is worthwhile for me to teach this course. At present it is under
      enrolled and I'm getting pressure from UAF to cancel the course, so
      please sign up if you feel you can make the committment.

      Throughout the semester feel free to send suggestions for improving
      the class. This was the first ever costume course on the WWW, and
      this is only the second time I'm teaching it, so I still consider it
      can use a lot of tweaking to get it perfect. I'm also trying to come
      up with ideas to help me make other classes work online, so if a
      suggestion won't work here, it might in one of my other classes.

      --
      ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer/Associate Professor
      Chair of the Theatre Department of University of Alaska Fairbanks