Re: [CostumeHistoryClass] Whitework

  • threadbndr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2002
      Guila,

      I have only done whitework for my church, working on linens for the altar guild.  There is a wonderful shop, Accomplishments in Ohio that specializes in the threads, fabrics and patterns for whitework.   Accomplishments-Shop - Home

      If you have the reprint (either the 1972 one or the new 1996 printing) of The Complete Encyclopedia of Needlework by Threse de Dillmont  has a wonderful section of whitework with the 19th century techniques well outlined and fairly well illustrated.  I love the etching illustrations and the publishers were smart in keeping all the original translations and illustrations.  It's like a time capsule.  A very good resource for this list, too, since it addresses the plain sewing as well as the fancy.

      Karla in KS