RE: [CostumeHistoryClass] Cutting Patterns

  • Carol Rowland
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2001
      Karen Ann -
      I use a rotary cutter constantly for cutting out patterns - they are great.
      Still need a few pins, and I sometimes do the curves with scissors. AT the
      time I set up the cutting board, I bought two cutting mats and put them side
      by side. I try not to cut over the join. Also, if you find you like using
      the rotary cutter, invest in a sharpener as it will save you some money.
      Only other tip I have is get ahold of an eyeglass case and put the rotary
      cutter in it. Helps save the edge and helps to keep you from cutting
      yourself. I find that it saves a great deal of time and energy.
      Carol

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 20:31:26 -0000
      From: "kakurlander" <kakurlander@...>
      Subject: Cutting patterns

      If there's anyone out there still checking this board... I am
      seeking advice!

      I find the worst part about sewing is the pinning and cutting of the
      pattern. (OK, so my shears haven't been sharpened since whenever,
      but still....)

      My question is, is a cutting board and rotary cutter useful for
      patterns, not just quilt pieces? If so, has anyone used this system
      and do you recommend it? Have tips for using it?

      Thanks -- Karen Ann

      Subject: Re: Cutting patterns

      I find a mat and cutter useful especially for small/children's patterns...I
      can cut out 2 pair of pants for my son at the same time and I don't use pins
      but weights to hold the patterns down.(coasters work well) This doesn't work
      as well for larger pattern pieces or for those with very tight turns but can
      save you time on some of it especially if you are serging the seams and they
      will be trimmed as you go...they don't have to be perfect when you cut them.
      Hope it helps,
      Karen