Cutting patterns

  • kakurlander
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2001
      If there's anyone out there still checking this board... I am
      seeking advice!

      I find the worst part about sewing is the pinning and cutting of the
      pattern. (OK, so my shears haven't been sharpened since whenever,
      but still....)

      My question is, is a cutting board and rotary cutter useful for
      patterns, not just quilt pieces? If so, has anyone used this system
      and do you recommend it? Have tips for using it?

      Thanks -- Karen Ann
    • rillaspins@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2001
        I'm guilty of liking my sewing toys.  I have over a dozen scissors and 4 rotary cutters.  I don't like the rotary cutter that you have to squeeze the handle every time you use it.  I use the others for diffrent things.  The large rotery is good on large straight areas.  The medium is good to use on quilt pieces and for cutting next to the sewing machine ( I found a special cutting mat with a cutting side and a padded side I keep on a chair next to my machine.  I can do quick ironing on small seams on the padded side and turn it over to cut fringe or little peices.)  The small rotary I use on curved pattern pieces.  I have difficulty guiding the large rotary around curves.  I still need to pin or weigh the fabric down before cutting.  I don't use the rotery on anything like lame or that has metal running through as that can dull or cause nicks in the blade.  I prefer to use ginghers on wool and other heavy fabrics. But fabrics that would damage or dull blades get my fiskar spring blades.  (I can use the fiskers sharpener on them and not cry if they get ruined.)  One of my newer "finds" is a small sissor with a kind of hook on the end that is great for cutting little holes.  If you are planning to use the rotary cutter on patterns, try to get at least the medium size mat so you don't have to move it around so much.  (Hancock fabrics has a 30% off coupon this week for quilting notions--This should include the mat.)  Some art supply stores sell self healing mats (not as good as olfa's) by the yard so it is possible to cover a complete table!!   No, I haven't gone that far yet, but a girl can dream.

        Diana/Rilla who really has far too many sharp objects laying around the house.

      • Karen Oxford
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2001
          I find a mat and cutter useful especially for small/children's patterns...I
          can cut out 2 pair of pants for my son at the same time and I don't use pins
          but weights to hold the patterns down.(coasters work well) This doesn't work
          as well for larger pattern pieces or for those with very tight turns but can
          save you time on some of it especially if you are serging the seams and they
          will be trimmed as you go...they don't have to be perfect when you cut them.
          Hope it helps,
          Karen

          > If there's anyone out there still checking this board... I am
          > seeking advice!
          >
          > I find the worst part about sewing is the pinning and cutting of the
          > pattern. (OK, so my shears haven't been sharpened since whenever,
          > but still....)
          >
          > My question is, is a cutting board and rotary cutter useful for
          > patterns, not just quilt pieces? If so, has anyone used this system
          > and do you recommend it? Have tips for using it?
          >
          > Thanks -- Karen Ann

        • Sandy Snowden
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 12, 2001
            I recently discovered this trick, and it really does save time. I don't mind cutting out patterns any more. I used to hate it! So,
            it means it is that much quicker to the sewing machine. I guess the new blades don't cost all that much in sales, but you can
            sometimes get them sharpened. I usually cut out the patterns on the back of the mat with a craft knife now, too. It goes round
            corners easier. I haven't got a small rotary cutter. Someone said you can cut paper if you are cutting fabric at the same time, as
            it cleans the blade. But, I don't like to. Also, I use a Pattern drafting software, so the paper I am cutting is printing weight,
            not tissue.

            Sometimes I use the quilting ruler to help me with bits of the pattern that are straight. Usually my cutting with the rotary cutter
            is more accurate than with the scissors.

            Sandy Snowden
            Bracknell, UK

            Message: 1