Therese Raquin-need some ideas, please

  • Molly Dewane
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2001
      Hello: I have tentatively agreed to design costumes
      for "Therese Raquin" by Neal Bell. The script is
      based on the novel by Emile Zola. The story is about
      a very nontraditional Victorian woman. Therese is
      adopted by her aunt and marries her cousin. She meets
      her cousin's friend. The two have a torrid affair and
      kill Therese's husband. The resulting guilt, etcetera
      is played out, ending with suicide. The novel was
      originally published in 1867 and caused quite a
      scandal.

      My challenge is to design the costumes with little
      budget. The theater has some period pieces. Since
      the play only states "late 1800s", I figured that I
      could play around with period clothes, meaning that
      every piece won't necessarily be 1890. Hopefully,
      that makes sense. I have some ideas, but would love
      some input from the group. I need a man's costume
      that can be easily duplicated as the actor needs to
      appear in a wrecked version of the costume as a
      corpse.

      Thanks in advance, everyone!

      Molly

      http://im.yahoo.com