RE: [CostumeHistoryClass]Victorian Sherlock

  • Sandy Snowden
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2001
      Paul,
      I haven't seen the Sherlock outfit you describe, but here are a few British links I found when I was doing this course. I found it
      easier to look for costume shops in the telephone directory, but I didn't go suss them out. There didn't seem to be so many British
      people taking advantage of the idea of having a web site.

      One of the best places I found for costume hire in the UK is http://www.fancydress.com/# They say: Our costumes have been made for
      Film Television and Theatre so it is possible for you to hire a costume worn in the movies. There are Victorian costumes shown. They
      will fit you, but you must not alter any of their costumes. The standard hire fee is £70, with a £100 deposit on top of that.
      For men's collarless shirts, and stiff collars see http://www.hubcom.com/channel/soho/shop/denny/denny.htm This is in London, but
      they sell around the world. They mainly sell to chefs, but also to theatre companies.

      http://www.incognito-fancydress.co.uk/ has Victorian gents in their costume list, but I don't know what they are like. They are in
      Birkenhead, Merseyside.

      Another possibility is to try ebay. Frequently there are vintage costumes for sale. I haven't really checked out men's clothing
      though.

      And what might bring better results is to list your request on the noticeboard at http://www.costumiers.org/index1.html The website
      of the British costume association.
      Let me know how you get on.

      Sandy Snowden
      Bracknell, UK

      Message:
      I am getting married next summer up in the North Yorkshire moors. I want to wear a suit and accessories
      exactly as worn by Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes
      If anyone out there can offer any help or assistance as to where I
      may be able to have made/buy/or hire such an outfit I would be most
      grateful.
      Paul Bell