Waddesdon House

  • Sandy Snowden
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2001
      Tara,
      Have you ever been to Waddesdon House near Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire when you have been over here? http://www.waddesdon.org.uk/ It
      is well worth the look, especially if you like French Baroque. It was built in the 1800's but feels like a palace of the Sun King.
      The gentleman purchased some of the things which were made for Louis XIV. A friend took me there on Mon, which was our bank
      holiday.

      They have a display of a few costumes, and a few of Oscar De LA Rente's gowns that were styled after some of the historical
      costumes. The paintings are absolutely fabulous, and it would be great if you had a long time to just study the manner of dress in
      each of them. They also have a big collection of books with various costumes plates and descriptions there at the moment. Upstairs
      in what used to be the servant's quarters a reading room has been set up. I asked about going there to do research, but the lady in
      the room could only suggest getting in touch with the people in charge of the house. The website doesn't refer to it at all, but if
      it was something you could fit into one of your tours, I am sure you could find out how they would give you permission to look at
      the books. They have some Medieval Manuscripts there, too.

      By the way, I was able to purchase a copy of the book The Art of Dress by Jane Ashelford while at the House. It is a very good
      resource. Many colour portraits to get inspiration from, and much detailed material about the garments, who could wear what, and
      where they obtained things.

      I also recently bought the book Clothes and the Child by Anne Buck. It has a great amount of detail about the children's clothing in
      history, which answers a lot of the questions I had when I was looking for more info than I could find from your site. (However, no
      references to the children wearing the stiff collars as referred to in the recent messages.) There are detailed lists, for instance,
      of what was provided for mothers to use for the babies at their "lying in". And lists from orphanages of what the foundlings were
      wearing when they were taken in.

      Sandy Snowden
      Bracknell, UK
    • Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2001
        Sandy Snowden wrote:

        > Tara,
        > Have you ever been to Waddesdon House near Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
        > when you have been over here? http://www.waddesdon.org.uk/ It
        > is well worth the look, especially if you like French Baroque. It was
        > built in the 1800's but feels like a palace of the Sun King.

        Alas no, I've seen very little of the countryside in England, just lots
        of London, the obligatory pilgrimage to Bath, & Stratford and a few
        other minor non- costume forays to St Albans, Hatfield House, York, and
        Coventry. Part of why I want to organize tours is that then I can GO on
        them. There are all sorts of country houses and regional museums with
        great collections that are impractical to get to unless you go by car or
        coach. I can't drive safely on the left side, and preexisting coach
        tours go to remote houses with memorable gardens not ones with little
        costume museums. Waddeson sounds like so many good houses to tour.
        When I was first doing tour organizing I was overwhelmed about how you
        can't drive for more than a couple of hours in any direction in England
        without running into another costume or textile collection. You could
        see one a day for a month and still have more to do. I've got a links
        list with a lot of them here:
        http://www.costumes.org/pages/museelnx.htm
        --
        ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer/Associate Professor
        Chair of the Theatre Department of University of Alaska Fairbanks