Re: costume class

  • Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20, 2001
      Feel free to link to any page at all. I like it when it is useful for people!
      Your 1850 friend might like page http://www.costumes.org/pages/victlinks.htm
      too, where I keep links to all the Victorian costume pages I can find, (and all
      that I've made as well).

      I found by the end of the live class that virgin web page building came easiest
      to people who used Freeservers http://www.freeservers.com/ or Freehomepage
      http://www.freehomepage.com/ which both use a really easy to use page building
      wizard. Anyone who did not already have web building experience or helpful
      assistants, who used another service like MSN, NBCi, etc. had problems. It
      isn't just you, my live class was in a similar fix, but there I could do a
      little more hand-holding than is possible online. I intend when I redo the
      course to strongly push folks toward these two services that work well for
      beginners, and steer them away from those that don't. I hope that this will
      improve the experience for the next group.

      DSL, or Cable really help. I don't know how i survived on a modem as long as I
      did. Up here you can only get cable if you also subscribe to cable TV, which
      is really ironic. Once you have a cable modem and a comfy chair at your
      computer, you never watch TV over once or twice in a month!

      I'm wondering if it would help to have dual assignments. If one was geared
      entirely to the web, and another choice was some kind of library or real world
      research. This could get rather hard to grade. I also sometimes wonder if
      people would have liked a textbook to accompany the course. My live class does
      not use a textbook either because I have trouble finding one that neatly fits
      the course content, but It would interest me if anyone was feeling like a book
      would have either helped them, or would be just an irrelevant extra expense.
      --
      ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer/Associate Professor
      Chair of the Theatre Department of University of Alaska Fairbanks
      Message 2 of 2 , May 21, 2001
        You might also recommend Dreamweaver as web-building software,
        although it costs money. (With the educational discount, the price is
        $99.) I did all my pages with it, and it was really worth it!

        --- In CostumeHistoryClass@y..., "Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume
        Designer" <Tara@c...> wrote:

        > DSL, or Cable really help. I don't know how i survived on a modem
        as long as I
        > did. Up here you can only get cable if you also subscribe to cable
        TV, which
        > is really ironic. Once you have a cable modem and a comfy chair at
        your
        > computer, you never watch TV over once or twice in a month!

        I have my computer set up near my television, so I can watch tv and
        work on the computer at the same time. Yes, I know I'm compulsive --
        I like the noise and I like to watch movies! LOL

        > I'm wondering if it would help to have dual assignments. If one was
        geared
        > entirely to the web, and another choice was some kind of library or
        real world
        > research. This could get rather hard to grade. I also sometimes
        wonder if
        > people would have liked a textbook to accompany the course. My live
        class does
        > not use a textbook either because I have trouble finding one that
        neatly fits
        > the course content, but It would interest me if anyone was feeling
        like a book
        > would have either helped them, or would be just an irrelevant extra
        expense.

        If you did require a textbook, would you require a costume book or a
        history book?

        I'm not sure that a textbook would have added to the experience.
        Maybe a historical timeline? There are a number of these online.
        I've always found that knowing what is going on at a given period in
        history helps me to place an event in context.

        -- Jean