2992Re: Places to see historical costumes & fashion: Europe & UK

  • rebekahsummers87
    Oct 14, 2011
      Hi, your journey sounds wonderful!

      I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it but in Ludwigsburg, Germany (Modemuseum im Schloss Ludwigsburg) there is an amazing costume museum. I was there about 3 years ago and it really took my breath away.

      The museum is about 30 to 40 minutes away from Stuttgart city and well worth a visit if you are anywhere nearby!

      I was in Vienna earlier this year and thought the Sisi exhibition was wonderful, there are some beautiful replicas there.

      Good luck on your travels!

      Rebekah x

      --- In CostumeHistoryClass@yahoogroups.com, "mizjayne_c" <mizjayne_c@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      > It only just occurred to me to post something here.
      > I am currently on a costume sojourn through Europe & the UK, searching out wonderful example of historical & theatrical costume/ fashion.
      >
      > So far I've been to Rome, out of necessity, the cheapest flight landed there. And I found 8 examples in the museums, clothes seem to be far to modern to display in Rome.
      > Then to Florence where they have a spectacular Costume Gallery at the Pitti Palace.
      > On to Venice to the Biennale, no costumes, but the Palazzo Mocenigo has some stunning examples from XVIII & currently displaying a fabulous contemporary exhibition of textiles from around the globe: miniartextil - a textile experience. The Casa Goldoni theatre museum, also had a wonderful display of marionettes in costume.
      >
      > The best so far was Vienna. The Wien Theatre museum was amazing. Huge costume display, that you are allowed to photograph without a flash. I spent 3 hours there. After that a further 3 hours at the Haufberg Palace at the silver & porcelain museum, the Empress Elisabeth 'Sisi' exhibition& a tour through the Kaiser Apartments.
      > There was only a small display of original garments & accessories, but quite a number of recreations as the originals were destroyed or to delicate for display.
      > Then I had made an appointment with the curator of the Wien museum costume department. Their storage facility just out of Vienna houses a collection of 22,000 items dating back to the 1780's.
      > The 3 hours I spent there were absolute magic & I could have spent weeks or months immersed by their collection. As a costume designer from Australia where there are so few example of early fashion I was overwhelmed by what is housed by the Wien museum. Dresses, ensembles, shoes, hair accessories, jackets, hats, bags. And the exquisite handwork of pin tucks, shadow work, beading, embroidery, hand painting.
      > It was an experience of a lifetime.
      > Now I am in Prague at about to attend the Prague quadrennial for the next 8 day, then I move on to Paris for 9 days & the UK for 10.
      > Obviously I will visit the V& A, Bath Museum & the costume gallery at Manchester, but can anyone suggest any place I might be missing out on on my travels?
      >
      > I'm happy to expand on this description& post pictures, if anyone is interested.
      > Regards
      > Jayne

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic