Car Rental

  • JOHN A. BISCEGLIO
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 25, 2002
      Anybody in need of a car rental, there's a guy who has 6 or 7 cars he rents privately in Santa Ana, he is very accommodating and really good prices. His name is Andy at 282-7013.

    • Fred <fredmorgan08805@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 19, 2003
        Our experience in renting a vehicle was that if you are picked up at
        the airport it cost more. Take a taxi to the car rental place. If
        I remember correctly there is a surcharge imposed by the airport,
        but you can by pass it by going to the car rental place. I think
        the airport tax was 70 dollars.
      • dekalb1945
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 17, 2004
          Does anyone know if is possible to rent a vehicle in Golfito,
          preferably at the airport, and drop it off at either San Jose or
          Jaco.

          I will be arriving in Golfito on the 2nd of February.

          Thanks
        • JOHN A. BISCEGLIO
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 6, 2006
            For cheap car renals, call Andy's, Santa Ana, 282-7013

          • Rayburn Corder
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 6, 2006
              The patch for the 'Exploit' virus has been released several days early by Microsoft (see the included statement). If you have installed a temporary patch, now is a good time to uninstall it and go get the new one from Microsoft.

              Rayburn

              Microsoft announced today that it will release a security update to help protect customers from exploitations of a vulnerability in the Windows Meta File (WMF) area of code in the Windows operating system on Tuesday, January 2, 2006, in response to malicious and criminal attacks on computer users that were discovered last week. (See the thread below).

              Microsoft will release the update today on Thursday, January 5, 2006, at 2:00 EST as MS06-001.
              Microsoft originally planned to release the update on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 as part of its regular monthly release of security bulletins, once testing for quality and application compatibility was complete. However, testing has been completed earlier than anticipated and the update is ready for release.

            • Ray
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 30, 2006
                Is it better to reserve a rental car before I get to CR ? Or wait
                till I get to CR which is cheaper?
              • Peter
                Message 7 of 22 , May 1, 2006
                  EDITED TO REMOVE all sorts of extraneous STUFF - which we effectionately call "PIGGYBACKING" (not that this moderator is particularly fond of pigs.)

                  My experience is reserve before - and shop. For an upcoming trip where I need a "premium" SUV, Avis is charging 1/2 of Thrifty (my usual choice).

                  Peter
                • Bob
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 17, 2012
                    I'm Coming to Costa Rica for my second visit this Saturday. I plan on Renting my Car from Thrifty near the San Jose airport (next to Denny's), I used them last time. My question is do I need the supplemental insurance? My Visa card Company is telling me No, I just want to be sure, I do not want to run into problems if I was to get into an accident.

                    So excited to be coming again....Bob
                  • Al
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 17, 2012
                      Bob, welcome back then . . . you are required to take the basic insurance as it is called here, no options! You can carry CDW insurance on your credit card which will reduce the daily rate by $6 to $10 or so - be aware that if you have an accident the credit card will have a block on it while your card company waits for paperwork from the rental car company - this can take a month or 3. You will still have a deductible - maybe $1000 depending on your car with this insurance. If you want full coverage or zero deductible as I think of it, you will pay an extra $10 to $20 a day depending on the car.

                      Can't advise you but if I'm going on short hops for a day or two in a rentacar here I do not buy the extra insurance, longer trips I buy it. Statistically though about 75% or more of our guests buy the full coverage and all but 2 of 1000's had no claims at all. That's why insurance companies make good money :-(

                      Berni
                    • Roch96
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 17, 2012
                        Bob,

                        Costa Rican car rental agencies are not consistent in how they handle insurance. Each company discusses insurance on their website. Many of the insurance write ups are poorly written. Renters need to be aware that the cost of "mandatory" insurances can significantly increase the total car rental fee. Car rental agencies make a lot of money from selling insurance. Most agencies will, at a minimum, require you to purchase third party liability coverage. Your credit card insurance typically only covers collision and perhaps vehicle theft. Tourists who thought they purchased "full coverage" are sometimes surprised to find that damage to tires, broken windows and radio theft is not covered. Actual coverage varies from company to company.

                        In any event, if you wish to waive insurance because of coverage provided by your credit card company or coverage provided by your personal car insurance in US/Canada, you must provide your car rental agent a written copy of those paragraphs in your policy that details your existing auto coverage in Costa Rica. Most rental agencies state that no insurance will be waived without written proof of coverage. Read the insurance coverage carefully on your rental car company website. Vamos Car Rental agency has one of the better written explanations of Costa Rican car insurance requirements. I recommend that you visit their website.

                        Make sure that you carefully inspect the vehicle and record any existing damage. Also, if you waive the Costa Rican insurance, be prepared for the car rental agency to place a temporary charge of up to $2000 on your credit card. If the vehicle is damaged while in your possession, the car rental agency will keep as much of your deposit as they feel is reasonable. It will be your responsibility to file a claim and seek reimbursement from your insurance carrier.

                        Read and be aware of your responsibilities with respect to reporting an accident. Most car rental companies include a clause which could nullify your coverage if you fail to provide them the accident documentation that they require. Read your rental car agreement very carefully.

                        Enjoy your vacation.

                        Gail B

                      • jackdiv
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 17, 2012
                          I rented a car for taking some guests around - needed more clearance than my Corolla. I researched the insurance on my Mastercard and was comfortable refusing the optional insurance. You need to look into that and decide for yourself.

                          I believe that there is an additional tax on cars rented from the airport. You might get a better deal in town, but it is convenient to get off the plane and into the car.
                        • powernapper
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 17, 2012
                            just a little fine print....

                            I got the 100 per cent coverage, with no deductible, once.

                            Had a problem with one of the tires, turned out it did not cover tires, of course :-)

                            Fortunately for me, my lawyer is their lawyer and they decided NOT to charge me for the tire. But they could have if they wanted to...The tire was damaged when I rented the car, not uncommon in rental cars!

                            Check the fine print!

                            Hugs,
                            Robbie
                          • eRAT
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 17, 2012
                              Best use of a cell phone camera anywhere!

                              ojo
                              (well, maybe second best use)

                              --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, Roch96 <roch96@...> wrote:

                              > Make sure that you carefully inspect the vehicle and record any existing damage.
                            • seamaid_55
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 17, 2012
                                We rented in April from Tri Color and we are still waiting on Visa to settle dispute. The second day we had the car it overheated and my husband took it to a mechanic in Dominical. After spending four hours at the shop and spending over $100 to replace a belt, the mechanic said it could not be driven. Tri Color said it would take two more days to get us another car. They put over $11,000 of authorizations on our card,which took awhile for us to get off. Visa said to cancel the card and they issues us another. Tri Color charged us for the entire rental period, even though we only used the car one full day and we had to rent another car from someone else. When I tried to communicate with them they ignored me. We still don't know what Visa is going to do about the charges.

                                Good Luck!

                                Message 15 of 22 , May 17, 2012
                                  Robbie, correct of course - forgot that one . . . tires/windows on say a RAV4 is $5.50 and a YARIS IS $4.50 at Toyota but most car companies are quoting about the same when it comes to insurances though I'm not certain - can anyone verify that? Berni
                                • margo
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 17, 2012
                                    Rented from Thrifty and we called out credit card company 3-4 times , just to make sure we would be covered with full insurance. Got to the counter to get the car and there was fine print in the contract that said we would not be covered on gravel roads.Oh...great! We called our card and they said ...Yes...that was true...so we paid alot more and got insurance. Was not too happy! THEN......we got our receipt after paying the total amount and looked at our Visa bill and Thrifty had charged us about $75 more to our card. We disputed it and they took that off our bill. We just could not understand why they would of done that. Guess they thought we would not look at out bill and just pay it...wrong!!!!
                                  • Craig Sternberg
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 17, 2012
                                      the visa credit card has what they call a collision waiver.  and says similar to what your visa said.  i did call my usaauto  insurance agent and had a $5 per month international car insurance addendum added to my current policy which came with some extra benefits also.It has travel accident insurance and i think gives you other monies and advice. I can cancel that when i return back to the states. It was a well worth while package for $5 per month.  i feel you can never have enough assurance for these things.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 18, 2012
                                        its all personal . . . I'd take the CDW on your credit card and decide if you want to remove he deductible and cover the tires and windows depending on your risk adverseness or net worth. . . Berni
                                      • knight breckinridge
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 21, 2013
                                          Call Andy Hersey 506 2282-7013.  His cars are fully insured, including towing, there are no additional hidden charges. You will need your drivers license and passport.  Your U.S. insurance is not required.  He has low rates and great service.

                                        • lidrokz
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Aug 26, 2014
                                            I also forgot to ask in my last post about vehicle rentals. Since 2005 we have always rented from Dean Krieg (Yes, I know several people had problems with his service but he was always good to us) We usually paid around $39.00 a day (all inclusive, no other charges at all) So now that Dean is gone we are searching for a decent but cheapish 4X4 for about 43 days (Dec-Jan) We liked Deans cars as being as they weren't fancy we blended in pretty good. Any suggestions?
                                            Thanks!
                                            Sherry in BC

                                          • Stephen Crawford
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Aug 27, 2014
                                              Erick@.... In Alajuala Just what you are looking for Steve Crawford
                                            • knight breckinridge
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Aug 27, 2014
                                                I have been using Andy Hersey at Sun Valley cars for rent for several years now.  His rates are low, all inclusive, including towing.  You can call him at 2282-7013.